Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

No dominant eye and pistol shooting

I am one of those apparently rare people that do not have a dominant eye. I think. If I do the test of pointing a finger at an object and then alternate closing an eye, neither have my finger pointing at it. My finger just moves to either side. In fact doing that test, I will see two fingers.

Similarly with pistol shooting, with both eyes open I get double sites if looking at the target or have to focus on the sites rather than target.

Anyone have experience with this? A way to overcome or train?

The only way I have found is to first look at the sites until I have focus with one eye and and then maintain that while shifting focus to the target. That takes time though and is anything but reliable.

I am a Forum User
    So I am in the same boat as you. I am right eye dominant but see two sets of sights when shooting with two eyes open. This was very challenging when shooting USPSA completions. As a crutch I started closing one eye when shooting. I can tell you don’t do this. Transitions from target were slow and obviously your field of view is greatly reduced. The two thing that helped me overcome this were:

1.) don’t shift your focus from sights to target. The best sight picture for pistol shooting is blurry rear, crisp front sight focus, and blurry target.

2.) Practice, specifically dryfire. I have been training now for about 5 months and I have almost trained my right eye to be the sole dominate eye. During dryfire really focus on seeing the sights with your dominate eye. Also when you dryfire you dont have to use your actual pistol. I have made most of my progress with an unloaded BB gun pistol. I have targets handing in my basement and a BB guns pistol set on a table right next to the stairs. Every time I go down or am about to come up from the basement, I grab the pistol and perform a couple reps with it. It amazing how many reps you can do throughout the day and not have to set aside 30 minutes to an hour for regular dryfire, plus you dont have to put your holster and magazine pouches on.

Hope this helps