I'm already a P320 owner, and picked up the X5 Legion version. This particular version seems geared towards the competition crowd rather than the tactical or self defense crowd.

Basics:
The P320 X5 Legion is a Legionized version of the P320 X5. Compared to other models of the P320, the X5's have:
  • 5.0" bull barrel
  • Dawson adjustable rear sights, fiber optic front.
  • Optics ready with removable plate.
  • Flared mag well weight
  • Flat trigger
  • Grip Weight

The Legion version adds the following to the X5:
  • Tungston is added to the plastic when injection molding the grip. It is heavier.
  • Legion Gray color
  • Unique flat trigger
  • Membership to the special Sig Sauer club, where you can overpay for Legion branded accessories.

In the picture, there is both a P226 Legion and the P320 X5 Legion. I included the 226 for a size comparison. This pistol is definitely full size. I could not find my kitchen food scale, but google tells me the P226 Legion is 34 ounces empty and the P320 Legion is 43 ounces. You can feel the weight difference when you hold each one.

When holding, the balance is different between this and a P220/P226/P229. Not saying it's bad, just different, and if one is used to the other Sig models, it may take a little trigger therapy to get as comfortable with it.

The sight picture is really nice. Very clear, with a really crisp deep squre notch in the rear. It's really easy to get on target.

Trigger feel is good for a striker fired handgun. It has just a little bit of sponginess and is not as crisp as a quality hammer-fired gun, but it's still a really good trigger right out of the box. Reset is pretty short and quick for rapid shot succession.

It comes with three, 17 round magazines. However due to Covid it only ships right now with one, and you get a web site for ordering the other two for free, as well as order the special free Legion bag and coin. The magazines have a baseplate unique to the X5, and regular 17 round P320 magazines won't work with the flared funnel in place (thanks Sig). However, the 21 round magazines for the Tacops/M17/M18 work great as is.

I have a couple other P320's of different sizes and configurations, and none have ever had a problem with any ammunition I've tried; and I've tried at least 10 different FMJ, and probably eight different JHP loads. I've only shot the Legion the one time, but it had no problems with the ammunition I grabbed that day.

Shooting was really nice. Thanks to the weight, sights and trigger, you can make fast double and triple taps that are all on target. I did a couple 10 round rapid fire drills and it was very controllable the whole time. Accuracy was as good as I would have expected, it was only one trip, but my groups were tight.

With that said, it's probably too large and heavy for a carry gun, even if you remove the magazine flare. But it's a really fun range gun, and could be a good home defense weapon as well. I suspect in the right hands it could be a good competition gun as well, and I may try that in the future.
Is it worth the price premium over say an M17 or Full Size that's also optics ready? Maybe, if you really want something larger and heavier.

Name:  legions_a.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  96.6 KB