Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope advice

Scope advice

I'm in the market for a scope to top off a Vudoo V-22 I have on order.
    The rifle will be used mainly for longer plinking and paper punching out to 200-250 yds, but also for some club matches @ 100 yds on very small targets. Think ARA 50 targets for an idea, the bullseyes run 0.5" or less and target rings are embedded in varmint pictures which means good resolution and a small reticule that doesn't hide the bull are a must. I want a 30mm tube to help with the vertical adjustment I will need out there at 200+ yds and need the parallax adjustment to allow for focus at less then 50 yds or no more to allow for the occasional 50 yd 22 match.
    So far I am looking at these 3 scopes and wonder if anyone has experience with any of them or better yet a couple of them. How do they stack up as far as glass, accuracy of adjustment, eye relief depth and what if any other scopes in this class/price range would you recommend I look at. I'm leaning at the moment toward the Vortex due to good luck with a couple of other scopes of theirs, but have no experience with the other brands other then a very brief peek at them on other shooters rifles at the range.
    I am not interested in scopes of less the 24X or that will not focus down to at least 50 yds and illuminated reticules. I'd love go with a Nightforce, March, Kahles ect, but the purser is ready to put me out to the curb now and I have looked at a couple Leopold but they don't focus down close enough.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/siiis...crosshair.html

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...ex_reticle=969

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rif...r3-ffp-ir-moa/
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I do not own any so just my 2 cents, and well worth the price!
    First is sfp and fine reticle
    Second is ffp, and has a better reticle, but only 24x
    Last is ffp, looks like even better reticle for long range, and higher magnification.

I would try the Athlon.

MGO Member
    Wondering if FFP reticle will be to big for small bulls at full zoom? For paper, a fixed 36 might work? Not sure Weaver still makes the T36, but there are others out there! Just a thought, might be way off

Weaver is out of business so finding a new one is iffy, not looking for used, but a Leupold of proper magnification would probably get my attention depending on price.

2nd Focal plane is where I’m thing I want to go. I also am not a fan of “ busy” reticles although that’s hard to avoid without going over my budget on this. At the moment I’m starting to lean more towards the Vortex, but...

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I want through the same thing a while back, didn't want to put a $3000.00 scope on my precision .22 as the .22 has limited range but I wanted decent glass that worked for very small targets in the 50-150 yard range.

What I quickly found is that I didn't need an illuminated scope, but the part that really surprised me was that I just couldn't use a center crosshair type scope. Even a small fine crosshair covered a .5" targets at 50+ yards so I gave up too much with a full crosshair.

I finally settled on a fine cross hair with an open center and a .03 moa floating center dot. Now, I have older eyes so that probably makes a difference but that small floating center dot is just what I needed to center that floating dot in a .5" target.

The other thing to consider is in .22 competition you might end up shooting targets as close as 10 yards, a must for me (on the precision .22) was a scope that had parallax adjustment down to 10 yards (a lot of scopes only go down to 25 yards). A 25 yard parallax adjustment won't cut it on a Q-tip at 10 yards.

I'm not suggesting anything, just bringing this up so you are aware that it could be an issue with a full crosshair on very small targets.

I am a Forum User
    I am no expert but I will offer you this. I have a spare athlon ffp in your magnification range if you want to borrow it and try it out.

It has a 34mm tube and is 12x lower magnification than the Hubble telescope. Shoot me a PM if you want to try it out. I cannot recall the exact model but shoot me a message and I will look when I get home. It is one of their higher line ones

I am a Forum User
    Joe-

I'm happy to offer you the same as musashi if you like. I've got the Athlon Ares 4x27 although in FFP and Mil, so kills the idea of a clean reticle and SFP example, but would give you an idea of the glass and general functionality and use. I've been running it on a 6.5CM in a Howa chassis rifle. I found the scope on a sale at Midway for around $500 bucks or so. I can say I'm extremely happy with it after a many hundreds of rounds of mostly PRS type shooting and some tinkering on the bench.

I've used the Vortex before. Very nice options as well. Would be hard to be disappointed in it. I think it's on par with the Athlon as far as performance and price.

Can't speak to the Sightron. No hands on experience with it.

Shoot me a PM if you want to tinker with it some time.

Thanks for the offers Mushi and Quads, but I don't have the rifle yet and will not for another month or so. Where are you located Quads? Since you have one of the scopes I'm interested in I might take a peek before I finalize my pick if you are fairly near. The build time was 6 + weeks when I ordered it, I'm just trying to be ready to go once it does come in. There is nothing worse then a new rifle with no sights and mounts, or even an idea of what you want. Then too, I am going to have have to wrestle the money out of the hands of my wife which is not going to be done in a day once she sees the bill for the rifle she told me to go ahead and get. I mentioned wanting to pick up a new 22 and I know she is not expecting anything like this one.

I have thought of the reticle subtension and think any of these scopes will work although the fine crosshair is definitely the best fit. All will focus down to 25yds and hopefully if I turn the magnification down to the lower end I can work with it at shorter ranges yet.
    I am not sure about the lit reticle though, do they work with the illumination turned off? I am still looking for a scope that offers a plain fine crosshair in a price I can at least feel I can afford, but it seems the world has moved to reticules that look like my old high school algebra X-Y graphs with the teachers circles and arrows added to point out my screw ups. Add that I prefer a 2nd focal plane and I'm into a very limited selection.
    Another scope that has my eye if I can swing it is the VIPER PST GEN II 5-25X50. It is my 1st choice at the moment but another $200 MSRP over the others and I really don't want to go that high.

I am a Forum User
    Joe

Good modern scopes have etched reticles on the glass so they work just fine without illumination. If you go high-end on lit reticles scopes they go so far as to focus the light on the reticle center but it isn't cheap to do.

Most of the mid level scopes will work good in good lighting as the glass is decent for those conditions. Where you will find the mid level scopes lacking is in marginal lighting, or if your target is at a distance & in a deep shadows. (an up-level scope really shows it's glass worth in these poor lighting conditions).

If you dial for all shots then a 2nd focal plane scope is fine as the reticle does stay the same size at all magnifications, if you range with the reticle, or use the reticle for wind holds then definitely get a 1st focal plane.

Don't let the busy looking modern charismas tree reticles scare you as you will quickly warm up to them once you start using the scope. (they do look intimidating when first held to the eye but that goes away as you get used to the scope).

My biggest (personal) complaint on low to mid level 5-25 scopes (I have more than a few) is the small eye box at high power & the rather flat non depth detail when shooting into shadows at distance or on real dark overcast days. You kind of get used to the lower end scopes after a while (well until you look through a good high end scope under the same conditions).

If you are seriously setting up a high end .22 then don't cheap out on the glass if at all possible.

The other thing to look for in the mid level scopes when used at high magnification is they usually have a rather small eye box that is very critical to eye position.

I am a Forum User
    I was assuming you wanted to "range" with the reticle is why I ruled out sfp scopes. Same for fine reticle.
    I agree lighted reticle scopes work fine with lighting off, so not a worry.

Very generous of the members offering to let you try their scopes. Kudos to both of you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast