Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Picked over shelves and a question about a firearm...

So the wife looked through a Bass Pro / Cabela's ad from a week or two ago and decided she liked the looks of the Ruger LCP with the turquoise grip frame.

Well, the only handguns Cabela's over here had (Chesterfield) were revolvers (somehow, I'm not surprised.) And even then, the only revolvers left were either the "cowboy" style or the big caliber revolvers (S&W500 anyone?) So we left empty-handed.

But now, this leads to a question. Surfing back around Mothers' Day, came across an article and one "suggestion" if you will, was to not get a .380...
    So, what would be the reason for this?

For my wife, she's OK with shooting 9mm, but double-stack size grips are a bit too beefy for her hands (she's shot my 92FS and feels the grip is too "fat" for her and she can't comfortably hold on to it,) and she's not seen a 9mm she likes the looks of. Of course, the other issue right now is, she can't try shooting a .380 pistol to see if she likes how it feels, because while ranges are open, their rental walls are not...

Look at a Beretta pico .380, arguably the most accurate .380 available. I’ve had several Lcp, they couldn’t touch it. 380 is a fantastic personal defense round. Bass pro had them on sale for $149.00 but good luck finding one

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    So the wife looked through a Bass Pro / Cabela's ad from a week or two ago and decided she liked the looks of the Ruger LCP with the turquoise grip frame.

Well, the only handguns Cabela's over here had (Chesterfield) were revolvers (somehow, I'm not surprised.) And even then, the only revolvers left were either the "cowboy" style or the big caliber revolvers (S&W500 anyone?) So we left empty-handed.

But now, this leads to a question. Surfing back around Mothers' Day, came across an article and one "suggestion" if you will, was to not get a .380...
    So, what would be the reason for this?

For my wife, she's OK with shooting 9mm, but double-stack size grips are a bit too beefy for her hands (she's shot my 92FS and feels the grip is too "fat" for her and she can't comfortably hold on to it,) and she's not seen a 9mm she likes the looks of. Of course, the other issue right now is, she can't try shooting a .380 pistol to see if she likes how it feels, because while ranges are open, their rental walls are not...
    The 380s in the size of the LCP are just not fun guns to shoot. Not for long, anyway.

Buckcz allowed me to shoot one of his 380s and it shot great, did not torture my hand/wrist/arm after 30 rounds, and it was about as accurate of a handgun as I have ever fired. I don't remember which manufacture it was, but a quick PM to him would get the details to you.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    The 380s in the size of the LCP are just not fun guns to shoot. Not for long, anyway.
    Is this from the short barrel making it "snappy," or the small grip making it uncomfortable?
    To give you an idea of the size difference in our hands, we rented (once) a Walther PPK (the Bond gun.) I was wrapping my pinky and almost my ring finger under the bottom of the grip. She had a near-perfect grip (all 4 fingers on the grip, without smooshing them together.) I realize with "pocket pistols" like the LCP and PPK the majority of shooters will have their pinky under the grip unless the magazine has an extension.

Largely, we're trying to find something she'll enjoy taking to the range and less (for now) a carry pistol. And for her, to some extent, this means a pistol she also likes how it looks.

MGO Member
    Take a look at an M&P .380EZ, reduced slide racking effort makes it very comfortable for women to shoot, decent size cuts down on the recoil. My sister loves hers.
    The key to making any of these smaller pistols comfortable to shoot is weight that helps tame the recoil. If you're set on a .380 then something with a metal frame is probably the way to go.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by js9lives View Post
    Take a look at an M&P .380EZ, reduced slide racking effort makes it very comfortable for women to shoot, decent size cuts down on the recoil. My sister loves hers.
    The key to making any of these smaller pistols comfortable to shoot is weight that helps tame the recoil. If you're set on a .380 then something with a metal frame is probably the way to go.
    I'm not set on anything...

Now the wife, well, I think she's more set on it from the color, having never shot a .380 (I've suggested, and she's not argued, we hold off until the ranges start renting again, and find one that has an LCP for her to try.)

It took a while but my wife choose a .380 Sig P238, she tried a variety hand guns, the only one she didn't try was a Kahr CM9, that
    is a smaller 9mm.

" It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    Is this from the short barrel making it "snappy," or the small grip making it uncomfortable?
    Yes, both.

My Daughter carries a Sig 238 ( rainbow) and my wife carries the Sig 938. Both are nice shooting with the 938 being a little snappy.
    both of those would be worth taking a look at IMO.

Glock 42 is my favorite 380 for pocket carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast