Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

No Purchase Permits issued during Stay at Home Order

I had someone contact me about a gun I have up for sale and he mentioned that his police station won't issue a purchase permit until the stay at home order is over. Has anyone heard this? If the state is going to require something like a purchase permit don't they have an obligation to provide them even during an emergency situation.

I had a buyer couple days before the 1st shelter in place order. The police dragged their feet and once the order was in place wouldn't issue the purchase permit.
    This is what I was told, have not verified for myself.
    However I know the buyer still wants to make the purchase so...

My brother had the same issue when I wanted to sell him one of my pistols. His small town police dept was actually just closed and only available via 911 for emergencies. He is not a CPL holder. The workaround is to meet the buyer at an FFL and have them do the transfer. A purchase permit is not needed in that scenario because you're transferring the pistol to the FFL and they are transferring to the buyer and conducting a NICS check in the process which negates the need for the purchase permit.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by fc2462 View Post
    My brother had the same issue when I wanted to sell him one of my pistols. His small town police dept was actually just closed and only available via 911 for emergencies. He is not a CPL holder. The workaround is to meet the buyer at an FFL and have them do the transfer. A purchase permit is not needed in that scenario because you're transferring the pistol to the FFL and they are transferring to the buyer and conducting a NICS check in the process which negates the need for the purchase permit.
    Yep, and tack on another 10-20 percent to the price of the transaction for the FFL transfer tax.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

really no purchase order, that seems crazy. Is there no cpl class either because its too many people in a room? That kinda makes sense, but people are still being threatened, exes are still crazy etc. Seems more important than getting a car wash or or silly stuff thats open.