Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    If you want more convincing before making the purchase, you are welcome to meet me at a range and put a box or two through my Henry. Or Marlin.
    You are very kind. I've done that before and I'm sure you have too, and it's one of the things I really like about folks on this site. I've had a Marlin .44 Mag lever before, but never a Henry. I think it's about time. Thx so much for the offer. take care.

I am a Forum User
    Winchester 1892 in .44 Magnum

Better fit and finish that either the Marlin or Henry, smoother and more robust/stronger action, more accurate. The only real disadvantage it has is scoping it is a PITA, and it is about $1,000 so a bit more expensive, too.

MGO Member
    For what it's worth, if you do Cowboy Action Shooting, the Marlin and Winchester 73 are the fastest, thus probably smoothest, rifles (the latter not available in 44 mag).
    Henry's are real nice, and I have two of their lever guns, but the center fire pistol calibers are not competitive, and I see them jam often if you try and go too fast. As long as you don't want to do competition with them - they are fantastic.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

MGO Member
    Thx again for everyone's input. This'll be just for informal shooting.

I am a Forum User
    a friend has a few Henry level actions, has told me he was disappointed in accuracy with both of them.
    Talking with my gunsmith, his comments were that Henry's actions were not as strong as Marlins or Winchesters.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    a friend has a few Henry level actions, has told me he was disappointed in accuracy with both of them.
    Talking with my gunsmith, his comments were that Henry's actions were not as strong as Marlins or Winchesters.
    Doh! Just when I thought I knew what I was doing. Research continues ...

MGO Member
    The Henry in 45-70 can take the same higher pressure rounds the Marlin 1895 can that are not suitable for the Trapdoor action. The Henry action lock-up in both the bigger cartridge, and the pistol caliber are really similar to the Marlin 1895 and 1894 respectively.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    Doh! Just when I thought I knew what I was doing. Research continues ...
    Just buy a vintage pre remington (JM marked barrel) marlin on gunbroker.

Because of the weird ejection on winchester they do not really interest me ... if I had more money and dozens and dozens of rifles I would have one to have one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12