Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

5.56 62g and steel targets usage

Does anyone use 5.56 62g green tip on steel targets at 100 yards?

Warnings about them pitting targets but wanting to hear if anyone actually has done this and seen any pitting. Some comments i have seen on 55g vs 62g with the heavier bullet not having as much velocity and possibly not causing damage.

I am hoping to not have two different bullet types but also don't want to damage my steel targets.

Be aware that the "green tip" round has a "penetrater" buried in the nose, it is not considered "AP" ammo, but it will Fup steel plate, even AR500. Punches right through 1/4" hot rolled at 200yds. The bullet is M855 US designation

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Be aware that the "green tip" round has a "penetrater" buried in the nose, it is not considered "AP" ammo, but it will Fup steel plate, even AR500. Punches right through 1/4" hot rolled at 200yds. The bullet is M855 US designation

Yes I am aware of what it is, and am trying to find if anyone has actually used it on steel (particularly at 100 yards) to see if it lives up to the warning.

I've used it on a 1" thick mild steel plate at 100yds out of 16" and 20" barreled rifles. Left a better raised "crown" area than what that guy was getting and the divots were about 3/8" deep. Been shooting that plate for years with pistol stuff with no damage, but after that day I ground off the raised areas and flipped it over so the damaged area was on the back side so it could be used for pistol bullets again.

I am a Forum User
    Shoot it at ar500 steel gong at 100yds. While the 55gr splashes off paint, the m855 (62gr) seems to do a little more damage to the steel but not much (millimeter maybe)from 16" and 20" barrel. But continued use will pock it up.