Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

DIY Gun Stock Blanks

Has anyone here laminated 2 or 3 1" boards together to get a blank wide enough to shape? I have an 1860's blackpowder double I want to make a new stock for. Problem I have is fi ding affordable blanks that are thick enough to start with. Not looking to put a $500 stock blank on a $100 gun, lol. I have read stories of guys using everything from birch plywood held with wood glue to others using 2 2" planks. My plan would be to use 2 or 3 of the pre planed Cherry boards like you get pre packaged at Menards. Or if someone knows of a place close to Jackson where I can find already dried 3" thick Cherry, Beech, Walnut, Maple or some other slabs, that'd be appreciated to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TBigLug View Post
    Has anyone here laminated 2 or 3 1" boards together to get a blank wide enough to shape? I have an 1860's blackpowder double I want to make a new stock for. Problem I have is fi ding affordable blanks that are thick enough to start with. Not looking to put a $500 stock blank on a $100 gun, lol. I have read stories of guys using everything from birch plywood held with wood glue to others using 2 2" planks. My plan would be to use 2 or 3 of the pre planed Cherry boards like you get pre packaged at Menards. Or if someone knows of a place close to Jackson where I can find already dried 3" thick Cherry, Beech, Walnut, Maple or some other slabs, that'd be appreciated to.
    Lumber that thick is HARD to find but NOT impossible. You have to look hard to find it. I have gotten 3"+ boards in the past in walnut, cherry and cocobolo for stock projects. Making a few calls should turn up what you want. It WILL be pricy though. Anything over 1" is a premium price.

There is nothing that would prevent one from glueing up 2 or more boards. HOWEVER, they MUST be flat and true and PROPERLY glued and clamped. Waterproof glue is a must!!! Glueing surfaces must be planed flat and have 100% coverage of the adhesive. If it were me (I HAVE done this before) I would have the boards planed and sanded flat and use Gorilla Glue OR epoxy. A thin coat of glue on BOTH sides then Clamp the snot out of it!!! Look for "Glue up clamps" If you are using boards less than 1" thick.

Good luck.

tap into your network. Someone you know is one or two degrees of separation away from a guy with a woodshop. Someone you know, likely knows a guy with a garage full of wood. Get in touch with him and trade something, or buy some weird shaped cut off that does not have a lot of value to him.

MGO Member Forum User
    End pieces or drops would probably work. The shotgun only needs a 2' piece to do the whole stock. Not like my Kentucky's that need a 6' stick, lol.

MGO Member
    Armstrong Mills has a lot of choices probably... solid cherry etc.. in 8-10" wide x 2 or 3" thick, as long as you need! Call them, they have funny hours, and are Cash/Check only. All the stuff you would be looking for is in the basement of the red barn! https://armstrongmillworks.com

MGO Member Forum User
    I just checked out their page. Definitely got LOTS of good stuff there!

I am a Forum User
    A bit of a hike for you from Jackson but I can't say ANYTHING bad about Armstrong! They are GREAT to work with! VERY helpful! They are a few miles east of US23 on the south side of M59. If the drive is not an issue for you I HIGHLY recommend them. I have been doing business with them for about 35 years now.

I've got a few. However, all of mine are 2 piece shot stocks. I'm on my phone, so it's hard to see... it looks like that is a one piece stock. If that is true, you'll want the right piece of wood where the grain curves along the top of the trigger guard. I'm not a stock maker but I think that is a pretty complicated stock for your first go-round.

MGO Member
    Do some web browsing for muzzleloader stock blanks.
    Here is a vendor who offers full stock blanks for as little as $85
    http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockblanks.shtml
    This vendor offsers 3" thick double barrel flintlock blanks as low as $60
    https://gunstockwood.com/blanks/
    There are a lot of muzzleloading suppliers on-line.
    You should be able to find what you need at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by TBigLug View Post
    Johnson Workbench in Charlotte has 3" cherry & ash for around 7.50 a brd ft. a 6" wide by 4' long would be under 50$. That is not a major drive from Jackson. They have always done right by me. Give them a call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast