Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooded guns

I am a Forum User

Flooded guns

I live in Midland and had to get out fast Tuesday night. Couldn't move my guns, so they got completely submerged. A quick google search says they all need to be stripped and cleaned, and I just don't have time given the rest of the cleanup. Anyone know who in the area can help? Thanks

MGO Board of Directors

Cannot help with your question, but I just wanted to express my sorrow for your situation and losses.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Thank you for your kind words

Rice is nice, if you can find bulk.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

How immersing the handguns in wd-40 or kerosene until they can be broken down and cleaned. Wd-40 supposedly inhibits or displaces moisture, no?

If I was closer I would take a few (if legal) and do what you needed.

I took the day off work tomorrow just to goof off.

I'm willing to drive up, collect a bunch of your guns, run them home and clean them.

Can't guarantee the wood, but I can dunk the metal in Kroil, or similar, and start detail cleaning.

If I can be of assistance please message me... and let me know how many, what type, etc.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Also, dousing them in any rust preventative, placing them in a warm oven (120°-140°) for 30 minutes or so, will help drive out trapped moisture without causing any metallurgical damage, then toss them in bags with desiccant packs. Should buy you a little time.

the sooner the better you can get on them, hit with air compressor, put in front of leaf blower, fan etc, get something on there like wd40 to displace water, you can clean it off later.

No good easy answer. If you do not have time, just get any petroleum product on them, do not do a detail clean, just soak them in anything wd40, pbblaster, engine oil etc after you get the water off. Maybe consider making a dunk tank of sorts, form something you can fill with automobile oil and dunk each gun, and hang it on a nail etc and focus on the rest of the house.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for all the messages. I think I'll dunk them in whatever petroleum product I can find. I only got to them a little while ago. They were in the furthest furthest part of the floating junk heap, mostly soaked and dry parts rusted. I was sick when I saw how rusted they got so quickly.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still have left the guns and stuff to get the wife and baby to safety.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMI View Post
    Thanks for all the messages. I think I'll dunk them in whatever petroleum product I can find. I only got to them a little while ago. They were in the furthest furthest part of the floating junk heap, mostly soaked and dry parts rusted. I was sick when I saw how rusted they got so quickly.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still have left the guns and stuff to get the wife and baby to safety.

Thanks everyone.
    The guns can be fixed. Maybe not perfect, but a little elbow grease will make a world of difference. When life gives you a little time, reach out of you need a hand.
    The important thing is you, the wife, and the baby are healthy. Everything else can be fixed or repaired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast