Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

How Much Extra Barrel do You Need on a Pistol to Thread it?

In my eternal search to modify my Witness I thought maybe I could just replace the slide and keep the 4.5in barrel instead of dropping down to the 3.375in compact one? How much barrel would get threaded for a [10mm, or I guess .45acp] suppressor? Would I have enough extra, or far too much?

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    If you don’t have the extra length necessary there are places that will machine in an extension sleeve for your existing barrel to give it the length necessary for threads.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm going to end up with an extra 1.2in of barrel, so I think it will be more than enough, I'm a bit of an information sponge [and probably autistic] so I was curious how much actually gets threaded. From one picture I saw of a 10mm 1911 barrel [which I looked up since I was thinking that'd probably be the best way to to then get a thread protector, to get it threaded to the same pitch and length] it was about 0.5in of barrel leaving me with about .7in extra between the bushing and the thread protector. Dunno if there'd be an option for a longer thread protector since I know nothing of these things.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

r1 threads.jpg
    .45acp remington r1 1911 enhanced model
    you'd probably be fine to cut a bit of the excess barrel and still have room to thread.
    Find a gunsmith and tell them what you want done. Odds are they've already done it.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Thinking of it now it will probably be width that might be the issue, which I should've thought of given I already had that issue with my Tokarev's comp but I'm sure there is some 10mm barrel that is similar enough in thickness to be able to slap a thread protector or comp on it.