Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to MI

Moving to MI

Hi guys, in the near future, I'm going to be moving from California to Michigan. I have a question about 2 of my rifles I'm bringing with me. One is a 16" .223 AR and the other is a 20" 6.5 Grendel. The AR is CA compliant currently with a fixed magazine and standard features (pistol grip, collapse stock), the Grendel is not CA compliant and is still equipped with the no longer legal bullet button.

So, the question is, can I take this garbage off of these rifles, affix a standard mag detach and slap in a 30 round magazine the minute I arrive in MI? Hoping that is ok

Already looking forward to getting my CCW permit after 6 months there, next to impossible here in CA.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joerockt View Post
    Hi guys, in the near future, I'm going to be moving from California to Michigan. I have a question about 2 of my rifles I'm bringing with me. One is a 16" .223 AR and the other is a 20" 6.5 Grendel. The AR is CA compliant currently with a fixed magazine and standard features (pistol grip, collapse stock), the Grendel is not CA compliant and is still equipped with the no longer legal bullet button.

So, the question is, can I take this garbage off of these rifles, affix a standard mag detach and slap in a 30 round magazine the minute I arrive in MI? Hoping that is ok
    Absolutely!

Already looking forward to getting my CCW permit after 6 months there, next to impossible here in CA.
    You don't want a CCW - that's a criminal offense. You want your CPL (concealed pistol license).

Doubting you have a CA CPL (is there even such a unicorn?), you'll have to establish residency and wait 6 months before applying. By then, the county clerk offices should be open again (closed for COVID mess). That will get you time to get your MI driver's license, as the picture take there is used for your CPL as well.

You'll need to take a CPL class first, then fill out the application and take it to your county clerk's office.

Here's a good starting point as well: https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,...0926--,00.html

If you end up west of the Detroit Metro suburbs, look me up for any firearm needs!

Welcome (whenever you get there, that is)!

Scoop
    Last edited by Scoop; 06-03-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: West, not east.

I am a Forum User

Welcome. I spent a dozen years in Ventura County before returning to MI. The only things I miss are breakfast burritos and the great roads for motorcycling.

Welcome. What part of the state are you coming to?

Dice

Yes!
    You can run around with 100 round drums falling out of your pocket here. Let me know if you need any silencers, SBRs, or machine guns.

Hopefully you are moving to the west side of the state. SE Michigan sucks. (Suck it eastsiders!!) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Absolutely!

You don't want a CCW - that's a criminal offense. You want your CPL (concealed pistol license).

Doubting you have a CA CPL (is there even such a unicorn?), you'll have to establish residency and wait 6 months before applying. By then, the county clerk offices should be open again (closed for COVID mess). That will get you time to get your MI driver's license, as the picture take there is used for your CPL as well.

You'll need to take a CPL class first, then and take it to your county clerk's office.

Here's a good starting point as well:

If you end up east of the Detroit Metro suburbs, look me up for any firearm needs!

Welcome (whenever you get there, that is)!

Scoop
    Great, that's fantastic news.

Thank you for correcting me haha and thanks for the information, exactly what I plan to do! Heading to the Plymouth area most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Yes!
    You can run around with 100 round drums falling out of your pocket here. Let me know if you need any silencers, SBRs, or machine guns.

Hopefully you are moving to the west side of the state. SE Michigan sucks. (Suck it eastsiders!!) LOL
    Hahahaha, amazing, can't wait to stock up on C Mags lol. Im moving to the Plymouth area, is that considered SE lol

Hahahaha, amazing, can't wait to stock up on C Mags lol. Im moving to the Plymouth area, is that considered SE lol
    Definitely SE Michigan.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Definitely SE Michigan.
    Everything below Grayling is SE Michigan lol

I am a Forum User
    As someone who typically spends over a month in SoCal every year for work congrats on getting out of the communist state of California.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast