Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: China

MGO Member

China

So a couple weeks ago I get a email from a company that makes AR rails and they go on to tell me what their up to and if I had anything to ad? Seems their going to make Red Dot sights and they were asking what I'd like to see from them and the first thing that came to mind was I'll pay more if YOU skip made in China, seems other's have also said that. With all the crap that has come from China in the last 20 years not to mention the last 6 months has this effected your buying habits?
    Thanks, Buckey

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    With all the crap that has come from China in the last 20 years not to mention the last 6 months has this effected your buying habits?
    Certainly has. I always tried to stay away from Chi-made when American made was available. It's tough to do.
    Now though, when it's the only choice, my stomach turns a bit more.

I'd have to look to see if I have any Chi-made scopes or firearm accessories. Probably do, unknowingly.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Certainly has. I always tried to stay away from Chi-made when American made was available. It's tough to do.
    Now though, when it's the only choice, my stomach turns a bit more.

I'd have to look to see if I have any Chi-made scopes or firearm accessories. Probably do, unknowingly.
    I do. I have 3 holosuns. I believe my Primary Arms 1-8x ACSS is too.

I am a Forum User
    I don’t have the time to avoid all of the Chinese products when at the store but for larger purchases or when I know of a similar non Chinese product I’ll go out of my way to buy American or at least a living wage, non oppressive countries product every time.

MGO Member
    China made crap is hard to avoid and I often wonder do they make World Class anything? Or just steal everyone else's ideas.

MGO Member
    My wife is going to divorce me soon if I don't lay off. Not really, but she's super-annoyed (and so is my entire family) with my newly-refueled desire to avoid all things China. It feels impossible, and I've even given into a couple things that I simply couldn't find made anywhere else. But I'm on board.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    China made crap is hard to avoid and I often wonder do they make World Class anything? Or just steal everyone else's ideas.
    When I was about ten years old, I was in a Kmart with my mother. While she was doing her thing, I was across the aisle looking at the bicycle accessories. I was interested in a bike lock and had a green chain lock in my hand, mulling over if I had enough money saved up to buy one or not.
    A "old man" (probably 45 or 50) startled me when he spoke. "Think that will work?"
    "Yes, I think so."
    He reached out his had to non-verbally ask for the package and said "Let me show you something." I handed him the package and he pointed to some very fine print. MADE IN JAPAN

"Japan's products are junk. They use inferior materials and that's why they can sell so cheap. This is your country, and my country. Buy an American made lock, even if you have to wait longer to buy it."

Japan has since wizened up and produces quality. China will wizen up one day too, but only if we avoid buying crap for cheap when quality for more is available.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    When I was about ten years old, I was in a Kmart with my mother. While she was doing her thing, I was across the aisle looking at the bicycle accessories. I was interested in a bike lock and had a green chain lock in my hand, mulling over if I had enough money saved up to buy one or not.
    A "old man" (probably 45 or 50) startled me when he spoke. "Think that will work?"
    "Yes, I think so."
    He reached out his had to non-verbally ask for the package and said "Let me show you something." I handed him the package and he pointed to some very fine print. MADE IN JAPAN

"Japan's products are junk. They use inferior materials and that's why they can sell so cheap. This is your country, and my country. Buy an American made lock, even if you have to wait longer to buy it."

Japan has since wizened up and produces quality. China will wizen up one day too, but only if we avoid buying crap for cheap when quality for more is available.

I’m a HAM radio nerd. It’s amazing how high in regard Icom and Yaesu (the premier Japanese radio manufacturers) is held by the industry, and how hard Baofeng and Anytone (Chinese) products are put down for no other reason that they’re Chinese. But honestly, even though it’s most likely that both Baofeng and Anytone have reverse engineered other Japanese products, my $20 Baofeng works excellent. It’s closest comparable Yaesu model is 10x’s that price. Same for my $250 Anytone HF radio. The closest comparable Kenwood or Yaesu is twice that price, and the Chinese counterpart honestly works very well with reports of long service life.

American radio products are almost unheard of.

Now.......I can also say that the Chinese manufacturers don’t play by FCC rules (allowing you to transmit in bands outside those allocated for licensed amateur and public use), but some find that desirable.....and that’s a whole different issue (China not playing by the rules).

I’d love to dive into a Icom or Yaesu base station.....but at $2000-$3000 when I can do the same (meaning Receive and transmit, not all the cool digital stuff) from my mobile using a couple amazon radios that cost me well under $500......it’s hard. I will eventually get an Icom base station though, as SDR (software defined radios using an internal computer instead of traditional radio circuits) is bringing the cost of capable base stations way down.....but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before China reverse engineers those and undercuts japan hard again.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 05-26-2020 at 05:08 PM.