Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Wouldn't it establish case-law?
    I dont know about legal stuff.
    Lower courts follow (or are supposed to follow) decisions of higher courts in some, but not all circumstances.

For example, say the Court of Appeals throws out a felony conviction and the charge was made because someone that legally built a pistol and filled out the RI-60 as both purchase and seller.

And let's say, hypothetically, that the appeals court held that the law was unconstitutionally vague or overbroad because it jeopardized both people fraudulently registering illegal pistols along with honest citizens trying to get their lawfully built guns registered, the lower courts (circuit courts and district courts) would have to treat other cases the same way. That would be "case law" - a higher court would have created a legal precedent from that case that would apply to similar cases.

I am not suggesting that an appellate court would rule this way. Just hypothetical.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    I'm looking at buying a AR PSA lower and also buying a AR PSA pistol upper how do I go about filling out the paperwork to register it as a pistol?

Thank you very much!
    So after reading this entire thread, I've got to ask: OP, did you end up completing the Pistol sales record form?

I'm in the same situation, just finished my pistol build and wondering which way to go from here. I don't have any CPL yet, but my Michigan class is scheduled for October. I'll probably get the out of state after that as well. But, I also already drove 2 hours round-trip to the county sheriff to pick up my pistol sales record after doing the background check to purchase. I picked up the form because that's what the gun shop told me to do when I bought the lower from them, then I was told the same thing from the sheriff department records division. Not thinking it would be this complicated I picked up the RI-060, but then the real confusion set in when I tried to make sense of the wording on the form and how to complete it properly. That's what led me to this forum, and now I'm starting to regret that I'm doing a pistol build rather than I rifle, hah.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234