Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: What caliber do you prefer for self-defense 9mm or 45 ACP?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm

38 61.29%
  • 45 ACP

24 38.71%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I am a Forum User
    Re-started with handguns 20 years ago.
    Bought a 9mm to start with.
    Decided to stay with one caliber.
    Seems a 9mm handgun is usually smaller and higher capacity.

MGO LIFE Member
    While I know the technical differences, and performative capabilities of each round.

I like to think on the history of why the 45 became as popular as it was, replacing the 38 which wasn't capable of stopping opponents in war because of makeshift armor made from bamboo etc, the 45 when introduced to the battlefield carried said people off their feet.

Also everyone tends to be trapped in the mindset that 45 only comes in, and is only available in single stack configurations. On one hand there is the argument that if you need more than X number of rounds to a magazine you need to go to the range. On the other hand of there are arguments of penetration, and having more rounds available. In modern day over penetration can be more of a liability, I have only ever encountered a need for excessive penetrating power with pork bearing animals, and I don't encounter pork in my day to day life. Also there has since been introduced firearms that in double stack carry 15+1 for example or other varying amounts that are a very comfortable fit for me. I feel like at least for my own observations, and fit in my hand, the double stack 45, not only fits my hand better, but for me, outweighs a lot of the arguments 9mm has going in its benefit.

If you're trying to argue one over the other, start with what your priorities are? Form & function, Comfort and fit, concealment, your own skill, cost of feeding, what carries most value in priorities because ultimately, both will get the job done with exception of extenuating circumstances usually designed with intent of making one option shine over the other.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    On one hand there is the argument that if you need more than X number of rounds to a magazine you need to go to the range.
    Exchanging fire from cover? Multiple opponents? I can see that more is better depending on the situation.
    Now if I was worried about it that much I would carry a full size gun with maximum load and I don't.
    45 or 9, either can get the job done.
    Agree that 45 > 9 but I started with 9 and also like the smaller factor.
    Too big and heavy and I may skip carrying.

I am a Forum User
    I like em both. My #1 primary carry is a .45ACP, Kimber UCDP, and has been for 17 years. Nothing compares, for me, as far as accuracy, control, and reliability with my chosen load. But, I also use a Glock 26 for night biking, and have for about the same amount of time. The 9mm in the Glock is fully controllable with one hand, with my chosen load, while maintaining control of the bike, if ever needed. I also recently bought a new S&W M&P 2.0, due to it's thinness and ultra-low weight, and am amazed at it's trigger, and lack of recoil for such a light gun, due to it's porting. It will definitely be put into the rotation, most likely at functions that require wearing suits, etc.

I am a Forum User
    See #25, and I do prefer 45LC over 45 ACP

USMC RULES FOR GUNFIGHTING (COMPLETE LIST)

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring their friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. Close doesn’t count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough, nor using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn’t.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on “pucker factor” than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. “All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.”

11. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

12. In combat, there are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

13. Have a plan.

14. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won’t work.

15. Use cover or concealment as much as possible. The visible target should be in FRONT of your gun.

16. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

17. Don’t drop your guard.

18. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

19. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

20. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

21. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

22. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

23. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

24. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

25. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a “4.”

Quote Originally Posted by jeff s View Post
    See #25, and I do prefer 45LC over 45 ACP

25. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a “4.”
    I'd take .357 over .45 lc any day and given the choice of an 1911 or an M&P R8 I'd take the R8.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234