Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: What caliber do you prefer for self-defense 9mm or 45 ACP?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm

38 61.29%
  • 45 ACP

24 38.71%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

What caliber do you prefer for self-defense 9mm or 45 ACP?

If you had to choose between the 9mm or the 45 ACP which one would you choose for a self-defense carry gun?

Of the two options, .45. Specifically 230gr HST.

10mm is my preferred choice, though my slim sub compact is an XDS, and when I know I’m going to be in crowded urban areas and can pull off a full size, I carry a FNX45. The vast majority of the time it’s a Glock 29 though. Thought process being with as much expansion as the HST provides, over penetration is minimized while still delivering a good amount of energy in a 1” diameter expanded bullet. While my FNX does not like +P, my XDS 3.3” does, and that’s what it gets. +P in my 3.3” XDS scoots out of its short barrel about the same velocity the full size FNX does with standard pressure. Recoil isn’t an issue for me in the XDS, and the FNX is a softball. (The Glock 29 with full house 180gr gets into magnum revolver recoil). Personally, I’m not recoil sensitive though. I can shoot the FNX just as rapidly and accurately as a comparable 9mm, and the G29 similarly to the XDS45 with +P (a bit slower, but still competently).

With modern 9mm (an HST for example) the caliber is more than adequate. The same bullet design in a larger heavier caliber is....well....larger and heavier. Capacity isn’t an issue with the FNX (15+1) and until the 365/ hellcat showed up the XDS (6+1) wasn’t terrible, especially for its size. Pistol design would dictate my decision for a specific application. 11+1 in a 365 would beat the pants off of a XDS45 with 6+1, or kimber ultra with 7+1 (not to mention lighter). A Glock 17 with 17+1 against a FNX45 with 15+1, both with similar size and weight...tougher choice. I didn’t jump on to the 365 train, because my hands are simply too large for it. If it fit me as well as my XDS it very well may have wound up in my holster. 11+1, regardless of caliber, is astonishing in a pistol that small.

Pistol caliber arguments are pretty pointless though. All (well, most) semi auto pistol calibers are on the weak side and ineffective unless the shooter does their job with shot placement. If you personally don’t like the recoil impulse of a .45, a 9mm might be better for you. If you value capacity over bullet weight and diameter, a 9mm might be better for you. I’m a ballistics nerd with no real world experience with stopping an attacking soft target, so personally I like the way the .45 (and 10mm) performs better on numerical data and gel.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 05-31-2020 at 12:47 AM.

I am a Forum User
    ^^^well said.

The caliber debate is 100% up to you. You’ll have die hard .45 guys, and die hard 9mm guys. Plenty of people carry .380 and it’s adequate if it needs to be. Hell, carry a .22 if that’s all you can carry or all you can handle shooting.

For me, it’s 9mm. I’m a slender fella and I get more rounds in the same size gun. Carried a Shield, now I carry a Glock 43 with a +2 baseplate. 9 rounds of +P Gold Dot makes me feel just fine. I also like the HST +P, both viable rounds. +P isn’t necessary but I like it through a shorter barrel to match ballistics of a standard round out of a longer barrel. I have zero science to back that up, it just makes sense on my head so I roll with it hah.

In summary, carry what you like. Self defense rounds have come a long way so if you choose a good round for your particular caliber you will be just fine either way. Watch YouTube ballistics videos on each round, choose what works for you, make sure your gun reliably feeds it and then carry it.

This is an excellent video on the topic, I'll let you form your own conclusions:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6kUvi72s0Y

I am a Forum User
    .45 Speer Gold Dot 230 gr.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    This is an excellent video on the topic, I'll let you form your own conclusions:
    I share that video all the time. Far too many people think 1300 fps over 1000 fps in a handgun round equates to 30% more "stopping power." It doesn't.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks very much for sharing the video. I hadn't seen that before and is great to add to any call. vs. cal. discussion.

I am a Forum User
    Well for the last few years I’ve been carrying 9mm with the occasional 357 mixed in and when I feeling like dressing up a 45..

Honestly, I suspect no rational person wants to be shot.. by any caliber..

And I’m confident enough with every caliber I carry that should the need arise I can at least put on a good showing..

I’m 100% confident that I can hit a human size target several times, under a situation of stress, while moving rapidly and the target moving as well, with either hand..

Let’s hope it never comes to that

If you don't care about weight, cost etc get a .45acp. if you open carry with a nice kydex holster have at it.

I have 9mm and a 45 that's 13+1 if it was not for concealabilty I would just rock 45 all the time.

If you are only buying one gun, get a 9mm.

MGO Member
    Great video. Had not seen it before. Thx so much for sharing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast