Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

1911 Frame Crack

In the process of fitting a slide and frame I managed to crack the rail 1/4-3/8 inch going up and down on the front of the gun, I ended up filing a 1/16 or so ahead of the cra and a tad deeper than it was, took my time not being forceful on it and then worked toward it a bit and it came off, my question is do you think that methed up the integrity of the frame? It's gonna be 45 not 10mm or anything, I have another frame too if I should just abandon this one

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9991 View Post
    In the process of fitting a slide and frame I managed to crack the rail 1/4-3/8 inch going up and down on the front of the gun, I ended up filing a 1/16 or so ahead of the cra and a tad deeper than it was, took my time not being forceful on it and then worked toward it a bit and it came off, my question is do you think that methed up the integrity of the frame? It's gonna be 45 not 10mm or anything, I have another frame too if I should just abandon this one
    Do you have a picture of where it was cracked? Without better knowing what/where you're talking about, my default answer would be yes. Not based on any great experience I have, just me personally not trusting a previously cracked gun in my hands.

I have cracked a couple of frames over the years, usually they can be salvaged. I'm not really clear as to the location of the crack, so photos would be a good place to start.

I am a Forum User
    I believe any quality gunsmith could fix wherever the crack is, by welding the area.
    I believe that Doug Jones has the skills / experience to do that sort of repair.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    I believe any quality gunsmith could fix wherever the crack is, by welding the area.
    I believe that Doug Jones has the skills / experience to do that sort of repair.
    Agreed, normally it's stop-drilled and tigged but not sure if the OP is just referring to the rail itself and not the frame?

Either way, Doug is never the wrong choice.

I am a Forum User
    I'm just getting a new frame, it's the front of the right rail, I figure better loose a frame than loose a hand

Quote Originally Posted by bae125 View Post
    Agreed, normally it's stop-drilled and tigged but not sure if the OP is just referring to the rail itself and not the frame?

Either way, Doug is never the wrong choice.
    I am not a gun smith, I never did this, but know a thing or two, this is definitely how you would do it on car or motorcycle parts.

I would likely use my other frame if repair approaches cost of new, but then if a guy like dough jones says its no big deal and has fixed 2,000 cracked frames, then I would likely trust his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9991 View Post
    I'm just getting a new frame, it's the front of the right rail, I figure better loose a frame than loose a hand
    Before you toss the frame, email me a picture of it? I might be interested in buying it and seeing if I can repair it.

I've had a 1911 blow up in my hands before, and 2 years later only a couple fingers still hurt. But the gun shoots wonderfully!

Let me know, please, if you are interested. Thanks!
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    how do ya crack a frame in fitting ?????

Quote Originally Posted by mr44 View Post
    how do ya crack a frame in fitting ?????
    Easier than you might think. Typically when fitting the slide it's the tapping to the rear without enough clearance for the rail in the front of the slide: uneven compression

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast