Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

What is the procedure now for a non CPL holder to buy a handgun?

Since the riots started, i was bombarded by questions from friends in my social circle who are not gun owners inquiring how to purchase a gun for home defense. Some showed interest in purchasing handguns but I know they do not have cpl. In the past one could go to the police station and obtain a purchase permit and can use to buy from a person. is that still the norm, or police stations are not issuing PP any more due to the COVID19 situation.. I do not want to give them the wrong advise..
    Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    At an FFL, background checks are done on site, and the RI-60 is provided at time of sale. If buying from a private party a purchase permit is still required from your local police department. You'd have to contact the department about how they're handling purchase permits during covid.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbbb14 View Post
    At an FFL, background checks are done on site, and the RI-60 is provided at time of sale. If buying from a private party a purchase permit is still required from your local police department. You'd have to contact the department about how they're handling purchase permits during covid.
    All correct.

I am a Forum User
    or police stations are not issuing PP any more due to the COVID19 situation.
    Not sure if any have started back up yet, but they haven't been issuing them since this mess started.

If you're wanting to sell YOUR personally owned firearm to a non-CPL holder right now, an FFL can handle that, too.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Not sure if any have started back up yet, but they haven't been issuing them since this mess started.

If you're wanting to sell YOUR personally owned firearm to a non-CPL holder right now, an FFL can handle that, too.
    Thank you.. This is exactly the answers i was looking for.. Greatly appreciated..

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    For a hefty fee.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    It is no longer required to go to your "local" cop shop, any police station is allowed to issue PP's to any state resident.

Did the governor shut down ALL departments from issuing?