Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milled Yugo rebuilds

One thing the shutdown has been good for is looking at old projects. I had a few milled Yugo M70/72/76 type parts and receivers that hadn't been worked on in over 6-9 years depending on the kit. Tried locating everything and found most of the parts to make a underfolder M70, M72 and spare M70 receiver sections and M76 parts to make a M73(?) in 7.62x39 or at least a M76 looking tabuk. Made barrels for the M70, and M76 clone about 6-7 years ago, and a set of sideplates. Couldn't find the sideplates and remembered I'd given one to a buddy so I milled some new ones. I had one 100% receiver and decided on the M72 to use it on. Riveted on the bullet guide, trigger guard and grip base. Pressed the barrel on it and have set the headspace. The barrel pin hole didn't clean up with a 7mm reamer, so a .290" reamer is on the way for a slightly oversized barrel pin.

Next up is the M73. So far the left hand sideplate has the 4130 ejector dovetailed and welded on and the sideplate has been welded to the front and the back of the old receiver on the inside. I've got the right hand sideplate fitted and will weld it the the front and back pieces of the old receiver on the inside also before welding the outside and cleaning it up. Then trim the sideplates to fit the receiver botttom and weld the bottom plate in place.

Likely take a month or two to finish these up enough for parkerizing and likely gunkote if the welds are noticable. Not in a huge hurry to finish them, plus I still need to find/get a few parts that are hiding on me. Here's a few pics of the progress so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Little more work on one of the reweld builds. Got the right sideplate welded on from the inside, and then ground out the seams on the outside and welded those as well. Outside is mostly cleaned up, waiting on a woodruff cutter to show up to recut the rail areas that are filled with weld and to mill out the extra weld at the back. The sideplates are still a little long at this point. Once the rails are recut and the BCG can fit on: the BCG; a mag; and the trigger guard/mag catch will be used to verify the bottom plate positioning before welding it on.

I am a Forum User
    Wow. What a project. I feel accomplished when I put a new stock on an AR

Very cool, looking forward to updates to see it come together.

Thanks, Kind of glad I found them again.
    Got started on reweld #2. Was going to be an underfolder but that'll have to wait for the next one. Got to thinking on the M76 look alike/tabuk and leaving the left sideplate a little thicker. Can always just use the first reweld for a standard fixed stock M70. The rear half FCG cut out on #2 was left at .100" thick instead of .075" in hopes that the scope will be better supported. Likely won't really make a difference but can't hurt either. Got the ejector welded on and profiled, and the left side plate fitted to a front and back piece. Just need to V the seams and weld it then the right sideplate can be fitted.

Couple pics of the M76ish looking barrel being chambered and then mocked up, along with #2 reweld progress.

Woodruff cutters came in so the extra welds on the inside of the welded receiver were cleaned up and the BCG fitted. Next up for it is welding on the bottom plate. Pin gauges also came in for the M72 so the barrel pin was installed and the RSB, handguard retainer and gas block were pressed on and the FSB started when my son asked if we could take the boat out so drilling the pin holes on those items will have to wait.

Got the first reweld receiver done except for a little more weld cleanup, rivets and parkerizing/gunkote.

Before and after.

I am a Forum User
    That's all amazing work.

You are to cool. You can be my friend any time. Thanks for keeping us posted.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Got one of the reweld receivers headspaced, all the barrel parts pinned on, and the gas port drilled yesterday. Turned the barrel for it in 2013 or 2014 and luckily it didn't get rusty sitting on a shelf in an unheated barn all this time. Milled a 8mm slot in the left side of the receiver .030" deep for a Zrak scope rail from a M76 rifle. Made the slot tight enough that you had to tap the rail in. The M76 has a longer receiver and the rear rivet for the rail ended up right next to the safety hole on this M70 length receiver if going with the ideal eye relief for the scope. There was enough rail to move the rivet hole over 1/4" so that hole was welded up and recut further away from the safety hole. The front rivet ended up in the magwell so a clearance divot was made with a woodruff cutter so the rivet head wouldn't hit the magazine. Set the rivets and cleaned the excess from the scope rail with an endmill. figured it was the 4th and why not run some rounds through it. Will take it apart and parkerize it next time the parkerizing tank gets used.

Next one is going to be the longer barreled version using M76 barrel and gas system parts.

The more the M70 got shot the more it started short stroking...... For whatever reason the Yugoslavians didn't go with SS gas valve parts in their guns. Initially the gas block was still sealed enough to cycle, but the more it was shot the looser the valve stem got as the rust got blown out. So the gas valve was pulled to take a look. Quite a bit of the diameter of the valve had rusted away and its bore in the gas block also looked like the inside of a well used cast iron sewer pipe. A 3/8" reamer didn't do much so the next up reamer I could easily find in the shop was a .406". A .391" drill bit didn't clean up the valve bore in the gas block, but the reamer got the rest of the pitting and made the bore smooth and round. Made a simple gas valve out of 17-4 and gave the rifle a test fire. It's back to being a brass throwing machine. I'll thin the head and nut a little bit before installing it for good and staking the nut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast