Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

A Porcupine may have saved my life!

A week ago, my best buddy tangled with a porcupine. I stopped counting after I hit 100 while pulling quills from his nose, lips, tongue, neck, gums and shoulder.
    Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  87.9 KB

Yesterday, I was driving my tractor about a 1/4 mile back to the pole barn and the dog was running along the two-track ahead of me. Halfway to our destination he stopped on a dime and made a 90 degree turn, sniffing and hunting the area. I thought that it may have been a deer or a turkey, even a squirrel, but when I saw his enthusiasm, I knew that whatever it was, was close!

I spotted the porcupine and immediately ordered the dog to sit. I then ordered him to the tractor and made him stay while I walked in and dispatched the porcupine.

I fired one shot from my pocket carry Airweight revolver. It hit the mark and all was well, but the trigger did not reset.
    Had this been a self-defense situation and another round needed, I would have been in trouble.

So why did this happen? Well, because I pocket carry a lot and the dirt and dust accumulated. I've never really had to worry about it because my youngest son has ALWAYS cleaned the handgun for me. He loves doing it. Well, he's gone now, treating covid and cardiac patients on the West side of the state. I've never given it a thought (cleaning this gun) because I never HAD to think about it!

So the good news is, the dog minded me (begrudgingly) and didn't get porcupined again. I was taught a valuable lesson at a very low cost. Some might say that there is good news that there is one less porcupine in the woods, but the porcupine would disagree.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

interesting, how long has it been since he cleaned it last for this to happen ?

I am a Forum User
    I open carry in a holster when out working on my property. I don't even think about it being there so I will proceed to use my chainsaw and all other sorts of things. When I look at my pistol at the end of the day it is often covered in 'stuff'. I use my air compressor to blow it clean each day. I shoot it at least twice a week when it gets a proper cleaning.

Edit: my point was and forgot to say, I suspect I would quickly get jammed up too.
    Last edited by Einthewoods; 06-10-2020 at 09:54 AM.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    interesting, how long has it been since he cleaned it last for this to happen ?
    I think it's been since February.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    Poor boy! I'm glad you are both safe and he didn't get zapped again.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I usually tell people who pocket carry to strip and clean their gun at LEAST once a month, pocket lint is no joke and finds it's way into everything.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    I usually tell people who pocket carry to strip and clean their gun at LEAST once a month.
    You keep guns that long?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    You keep guns that long?
    LOL! No, he doesn't!
    He was giving advice to those of us that aren't as addicted.

Porcupines are primarily nocturnal animals.

If there is one out, openly, in the daylight, There is a chance that it is also sick.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I have never owned a revolver, does it require taking the grip panels off, cleaning in the grip right?

You hit it with an air compressor ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast