Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Removing fixed front sight on AR

Hey guys

Tried using the search function to no avail, so my apologies if this has been beaten into the ground. I have a M&P Sport II and would like to remove the front sight. It’s a plinker for me so I don’t want iron sights anymore. If the front folded like the rear I’d be fine but it’s indeed fixed. How do I go about removing this? I have zero experience with AR modifications so the more simple the terms the better it’s my understanding that the gas system is tied into the front sight somehow, so I’ll need to do something with that too? Any help would be appreciated, or somebody who does this all the time and maybe wants a few bucks haha. Thanks in advance!

Corbs

MGO Member
    I have a Ruger ar with the fixed front sight, and I have a scope on it and you don't see the front sight while looking through the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    Hey guys

Tried using the search function to no avail, so my apologies if this has been beaten into the ground. I have a M&P Sport II and would like to remove the front sight. It’s a plinker for me so I don’t want iron sights anymore. If the front folded like the rear I’d be fine but it’s indeed fixed. How do I go about removing this? I have zero experience with AR modifications so the more simple the terms the better it’s my understanding that the gas system is tied into the front sight somehow, so I’ll need to do something with that too? Any help would be appreciated, or somebody who does this all the time and maybe wants a few bucks haha. Thanks in advance!

Corbs
    The best way is to saw off the tower part of the sight. Works really well if you are placing a rail over it. You can also remove it totally be removing the gas tube pin so the gas tube will come out. Then get a good short punch and a big hammer. There are tapered pins holding it in place. support everything on a block of wood on the ground, preferably cement. I cant remember what way they come out, but google it. Then buy your choice of bolt on gas block and install it. Fun project really.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    Hey guys

Corbs
    Yes, the front sight retains the gas tube and also feeds the operating gas into the gas tube, on the M&P Sport II the front sight also holds the plate that retains the front of the handguards.

Easiest thing to do is to just use a hacksaw or die grinder & cut the sight off just above the gas tube web, then use a file to clean it up straight and even. Then paint the bare metal semi flat black. (or cold blue/black it)

If you remove the sight you will need a new gas block that fits the area plus it will have to be compatible with the non floating stock handguard (they are available with some searching).

To get your front site off you will have to CAREFULLY drive the tapered pins out-- this is a bit tricky as they are tapered and if driven in wrong direction, or driven with incorrect tools, or driven at a bad angle then the pins can swell up then become very difficult to remove.

If you are serious about removing the front sight and haven't done one before you might be money ahead to have a local gunsmith or gun shop drive the pins out for you.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Yes, the front sight retains the gas tube and also feeds the operating gas into the gas tube, on the M&P Sport II the front sight also holds the plate that retains the front of the handguards.

Easiest thing to do is to just use a hacksaw or die grinder & cut the sight off just above the gas tube web, then use a file to clean it up straight and even. Then paint the bare metal semi flat black. (or cold blue/black it)

If you remove the sight you will need a new gas block that fits the area plus it will have to be compatible with the non floating stock handguard (they are available with some searching).

To get your front site off you will have to CAREFULLY drive the tapered pins out-- this is a bit tricky as they are tapered and if driven in wrong direction, or driven with incorrect tools, or driven at a bad angle then the pins can swell up then become very difficult to remove.

If you are serious about removing the front sight and haven't done one before you might be money ahead to have a local gunsmith or gun shop drive the pins out for you.
    I do have a knack for just chipping crap off. Didn’t even think about this option. Thanks dude!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    I cant remember what way they come out
    If holding your rifle as if to shoot it, the pins come out left to right.

Do this on a VERY solid/heavy surface. Have a second person hold the upper.

Article from Ammoland.com: https://www.ammoland.com/2016/11/rem...ght%20step%205

A good thread on this on ARFCOM started by BCM: https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry...ns/138-181708/

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by denniscoon@aol.c View Post
    I have a Ruger ar with the fixed front sight, and I have a scope on it and you don't see the front sight while looking through the scope.
    +1. Don't fix something that ain't broken.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    +1. Don't fix something that ain't broken.
    With my scope setup I definitely see the front sight and it’s terribly distracting. I also switch from a red dot to a scope and the front sight inhibits both. If I mess up I can buy another sight or gas block, no harm no foul

I am a Forum User
    Ended up taking a dremel to the front sight and chopped it off. Took a while, cuz dremel, but it did what it was intended to do. Doesn’t look great, doesn’t look horrible, but it’s functional for my purpose. Thanks guys!

I am a Forum User
    I have the same question, but slightly different.
    I am taking the front A sight off, to replace it with a low profile block and a free float handguard.

I took the gas tube roll pin out - no issues.
    I measured both side of the pins to make sure I was driving them out small side=>Big side
    I ground a little of the hump off of each small side to make a flat surface for the puchns.

I took the front sight pin out, no issues after a couple of whacks.

The back one is being a real problem.
    I am using a 3/32" center punch tool, and a brass hammer.
    I just cant get that damn back pin out.

Any suggestions?