Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

What brace and muzzle device do you have on your AR pistol to keep it under the 26in oal?

I'm looking at a PSA lower and a PSA upper in 10.5" and want to keep it under 26 in oal so I can carry it as a pistol.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    I'm looking at a PSA lower and a PSA upper in 10.5" and want to keep it under 26 in oal so I can carry it as a pistol.
    Muzzle device and brace are not part of the length. Shortest operable length applies.

With most carbine buffer tubes you should be at 25.75 inches, brace and flash hider removed.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Muzzle device and brace are not part of the length. Shortest operable length applies.

With most carbine buffer tubes you should be at 25.75 inches, brace and flash hider removed.
    Jeff,

Thank you very much with all your help with answering all my questions regarding the air pistol!

Thanks again and have a great day!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    Jeff,

Thank you very much with all your help with answering all my questions regarding the air pistol!

Thanks again and have a great day!
    Any time!

This has probably been addressed several times, but I'll ask anyway. If, when building an AR pistol, the shortest length is over 26", does this just mean we can't carry this as a pistol, and therefore becomes a rifle? Or, does this fall into the SBR territory, and therefore require the additional paperwork? I'm building my first AR pistol this weekend, and I believe I'll OK with the length, but just want to make sure.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    This has probably been addressed several times, but I'll ask anyway. If, when building an AR pistol, the shortest length is over 26", does this just mean we can't carry this as a pistol, and therefore becomes a rifle? Or, does this fall into the SBR territory, and therefore require the additional paperwork? I'm building my first AR pistol this weekend, and I believe I'll OK with the length, but just want to make sure.
    Any barrel over 10.5" you'll be over. Federally it will still be a pistol if it has a brace, but will be a "firearm" in Michigan. Long gun transport laws will apply.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Any barrel over 10.5" you'll be over. Federally it will still be a pistol if it has a brace, but will be a "firearm" in Michigan. Long gun transport laws will apply.
    With any standard receiver extension.

If you're using one of the smaller setups like the Maxim pistol brace you can go up to a 12" barrel as it is almost a full 2" shorter then the standard carbine receiver extension.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    With any standard receiver extension.

If you're using one of the smaller setups like the Maxim pistol brace you can go up to a 12" barrel as it is almost a full 2" shorter then the standard carbine receiver extension.
    Yes, good catch! Forgot about those short buffer setups.

At what point does my Federal-recognized pistol become an SBR? This is one of those finer (confusing?) points in the law that I don't fully understand. I plan for my build to be a Michigan-legal pistol, but with all the nuances and subtleties included within the laws, I just want to make sure.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    At what point does my Federal-recognized pistol become an SBR? This is one of those finer (confusing?) points in the law that I don't fully understand. I plan for my build to be a Michigan-legal pistol, but with all the nuances and subtleties included within the laws, I just want to make sure.
    Barrel length under 16" with a stock or OAL under 26" with a stock. Pistol braces are not stocks. A firearm can be an SBR federally, and a pistol in Michigan. See the chart below.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...e-of-Michigan)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast