Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Great experience, Danco. Thanks for the feedback.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Danco411 View Post
    The Grendel is my only hunting caliber. I have been using it since it came out and have shot many deer with it. It is amazingly accurate, and is the hardest hitting round out of a standard AR15. My hunting rifle is an SBR with a 12" barrel. I can print 1/2" groups at 100 yards and have hit a 36" steel target at 1000 yards. Yes with a 12" barrel. It is one hell of a tree stand rifle and easy to haul through the woods. There are a bunch of excellent hunting rounds for it but I make my own with the Barnes 120g TTSX bullets. I have sold many Grendels to customers over the years and they are universally loved. Best part is you can buy the cheap Wolf steel case rounds for practice and self defense.

Bold items apply to me too.

Purchased the upper in 2011, Hunting with the only Grendel since 2013. Deer taken from 30-225 yards. Wonderful cartridge for all around plinking and hunting. Inexpensive Wolf available and runs nice, Priv is back making brass case and plenty of high quality options.

I have a Sabre Defense (was a factory upper) 18" chrome lined fluted barrel. Wonderful to shoot, excellent versatility, accurate, low recoil, great ballistics.

I've built another 16" (Faxon) 6.5 but haven't shot it yet and was just about dropped $600 on a BSF carbon fiber barrel but it went out of stock but if this gives you some idea of how much I like the cartridge.

I am a Forum User
    I'm new to 6.5G (built one Feb. of this year), but from the forums I've been on and the ballistic data from my calculator says that 6.5G is a downright fine cartridge for deer sized game at reasonable distances.
    I'm planing on using mine this fall and as others have said, I think I'm going to use either the Hornady SST 123g or the Barnes TSX 120g. Still working up a load for both...

I am a Forum User
    Have a look at the 6mm ARC. It’s basically a 6mm Grendel. Less recoil, better exterior ballistics, ample terminal ballistics. Hornady is making quality ammunition for it

A 6.5 is still a dressed up oinker wanting to be a 308 when its all growed up from a 260 cal.

There really isn't that much difference in recoil if that's what you're set out to tackle.

A 36" target at 1,000 yards from a 12" bbl is sumthin I'd like to see - you have to be one HELL of a shot for that, I can count on my fingers the people I know of that are that good.
    Unless you broke out the led-sled for that one on a perfect day with absolutely ZERO wind drift. Standard wind drift AT 500yds with the best out there BC long range 140-something grain round is almost 18". Lower that to 120gr and you're over 20".

I'll even buy you a case of ammo if you can. (You all read it here for posterity)
    But when I group (not scatter) that same target with my open sighted 308, you buy me a case of what I shot.
    a 20 round leg seems fair - yes? No bench rests. Any shooting position you want (prone).

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by nmuskier View Post
    For context, here is my experience and preferences for hunting whitetail. I grew up using .30 caliber rifles for deer hunting. I have a sweet spot for grandpa's old .300 Savage model 99. A few years ago I got a .243 after shoulder surgery for a lighter carrying and recoiling rifle. I love the results I get with the 100 grain bullet. Most recently, I used a 147gr .300 Blackout from a 10.5" pistol. That is the tree stand gun. Shots are under 60 yards. I have taken a small deer at 70 yards, broadside, with a 64 grain .223. It worked, but I want better penetration and a more durable bullet.

So now I am interested in the effectiveness of the 6.5 grendel from a 20" barrel. I would like a cartridge that performs well out to 200 yards. What are your experiences with this round on Michigan whitetail?

Any input on AR upper options is appreciated too.

I have hunted with my 6.5 Grendel, it worked but I wasn't overwhelmed with the quick kill in the 2 deer that I took with the Grendel.

Under 200 yards (AR platform) my preference is the 6.8 SPC with a 90 grain Gold Dot.

Over 300 yards (especially well over 300 yards) my preference is then back to the 6.5 Grendel as it holds velocity better at longer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by HemmyngsKylee View Post
    Hey there! Don't worry about reviving an old thread, we're all here to help each other out. I'm a newbie here, but I can try to offer some advice.
    Ditto
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    A 6.5 is still a dressed up oinker wanting to be a 308 when its all growed up from a 260 cal.

There really isn't that much difference in recoil if that's what you're set out to tackle.

A 36" target at 1,000 yards from a 12" bbl is sumthin I'd like to see - you have to be one HELL of a shot for that, I can count on my fingers the people I know of that are that good.
    Unless you broke out the led-sled for that one on a perfect day with absolutely ZERO wind drift. Standard wind drift AT 500yds with the best out there BC long range 140-something grain round is almost 18". Lower that to 120gr and you're over 20".

I'll even buy you a case of ammo if you can. (You all read it here for posterity)
    But when I group (not scatter) that same target with my open sighted 308, you buy me a case of what I shot.
    a 20 round leg seems fair - yes? No bench rests. Any shooting position you want (prone).

It would be artillery shooting..

What would be arty?

Name:  Brassard.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  10.6 KB

Yeah the brassard shows that was a long time ago...like Toby Keith says, I'm as good once as I ever was.

Damn. I thought I was going to get a new case of 308 too! A thread from 2020? Should've caught that!

I am a Forum User
    ..." I'm as good once as I ever was." I say that I'm almost as good as I never was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast