Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

What chokes do I have?

I have a 1960’s? Zabala Hermanos Royal Crown Magnum SxS 10ga. It has fixed chokes, and each barrel is stamped as seen below. Does anyone know what chokes this thing has? Each barrel has the identical stamping. “Choke 18,3 19,7”.

I am a Forum User
    Zabala Hermanos Chokes

I am a Forum User
    The 19.7 would be a cylinder bore (no restriction).
    The 18.3 would be an extra extra full. This is an odd one as it is .06" and extra full is .04", so maybe close to a turkey style choke.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The 19.7 would be a cylinder bore (no restriction).
    The 18.3 would be an extra extra full. This is an odd one as it is .06" and extra full is .04", so maybe close to a turkey style choke.

Thanks. I figured it was a metric measurement, but I didn’t understand the two sets of numbers. I’m not a shotguner, so I honestly had no idea the difference from bore to restriction dictated level of choke. I had always assumed chokes had standard diameters across gauges.

The European way of designating choke is odd, but logical.

I the old days, anything .055 or greater was considered "Super Full" and was intended for larger fowl at distances of 40yds +. So, Turkey, Goose, Swan gun.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    The European way of designating choke is odd, but logical.

I the old days, anything .055 or greater was considered "Super Full" and was intended for larger fowl at distances of 40yds +. So, Turkey, Goose, Swan gun.
    Yeah, it’s set up as a goose gun. The thing is a monster, 32” barrels and well over 15 pounds (probably closer to 18 pounds). Definitely not something I’d want to be walking around with. It does point and swing well, but the recoil it outright abusive. The last time I shot it many years ago it turned my shoulder and bicep green and yellow from bruising. It looked like I broke my arm it was so bad. Well made and pretty to look at though, engraved nickel receiver and decent burl in the wood.

I’m tempted to buy a shot shell press just to make target loads for it. It’s been very difficult to find any 10ga loads in lead lately, and if I do stumble upon lead it’s either 00 buck or #5 turkey at $2-$3.50/ round.