Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Private Part Sales - Rules Documentation

I searched for the latest in what is needed for a private party sale of a long gun, I could not find anything.

I am a CPL hold and my buddy is also, he wants to buy a .22 rifle from me.

Any links to a checklist or more info on what is needed for the sale of a long gun.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by stockrex View Post
    I searched for the latest in what is needed for a private party sale of a long gun, I could not find anything.

I am a CPL hold and my buddy is also, he wants to buy a .22 rifle from me.

Any links to a checklist or more info on what is needed for the sale of a long gun.

Thanks!
    “Are you 18 and legally allowed to own a firearm” “yes” “can I verify with your ID please” “yes” *exchange money* deal is done. No CPL or paperwork required for a long gun. I personally do a bill of sale to have proof I sold it, that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbs126 View Post
    “Are you 18 and legally allowed to own a firearm” “yes” “can I verify with your ID please” “yes” *exchange money* deal is done. No CPL or paperwork required for a long gun. I personally do a bill of sale to have proof I sold it, that’s just me.
    Asking for ID and a bill of sale are personal preference and not a requirement in law.

I am a Forum User
    Private party long gun sales in MI are cash & carry. Nothing else required.

I am a Forum User
    Danke, I will draw up a bill of sale,

Desc of item sold:
    One shiny marlin 22 that not gu-run-teethed to hit the barn door

I am a Forum User
    Bill of sale should be nothing more than a handshake for a long gun. Don't be surprised if your buyer doesn't sign it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Bill of sale should be nothing more than a handshake for a long gun. Don't be surprised if your buyer doesn't sign it.
    Or, in today's climate, an elbow bump? LOL.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Totally understand, that’s why I say it’s just my personal preference. Some people don’t like it and I had a guy bounce on a sale after I brought it up. Makes me think he’s not allowed to own a firearm. When I looked it up you do need to verify that they’re 18 and ask them if they’re legally allowed to own a firearm. Correct me if I’m wrong please. Don’t mess with long guns much

I am a Forum User
    Makes me think he’s not allowed to own a firearm.
    Makes me think he's following the law as it's written.
    Peek at a state issued ID/DL , ask if he's legal and count cash. (BTW, do criminals answer the 'are you legal' question honestly?)
    It's not a complex transaction, don't make it one. In the real world, where no legal documents are required, a bill of sale does nothing for you or him with regards to the transaction.

Totally understand, that’s why I say it’s just my personal preference. Some people don’t like it and I had a guy bounce on a sale after I brought it up. Makes me think he’s not allowed to own a firearm. When I looked it up you do need to verify that they’re 18 and ask them if they’re legally allowed to own a firearm. Correct me if I’m wrong please. Don’t mess with long guns much
    All you legally need to do is ask if they're at least 18, legally allowed to possess firearms, and are a resident of MI so that you're not knowingly selling someone a long gun that is not otherwise allowed to own one.

Now, is it a good idea to ask to see a MI driver's license or state ID? IMO, yes. I always ask to see this, I've had several buyers/sellers ask the same of me, and if someone refused to, I would walk away from the sale.

Do I require a bill of sale? No, but again, IMO I'd feel more comfortable keeping a log of the serial # and buyer's name/number at the very least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast