Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Colt 38 Detective Special

I've been asked by my uncle to clean his Colt Detective Special, handed down to him by my grandfather (who served with both Lansing Police and Michigan State Police back in the day). Near as I can tell by the serial number, the gun was manufactured in 1930. Here are some photos.

IMG_1751.jpg IMG_1752.jpg IMG_1753.jpg IMG_1754.jpg IMG_1756.jpgIMG_1756.jpg IMG_1755.jpg

I'm not sure if the holster is original to the gun, or not. I would suspect it is.

Any ideas on the best way to clean? I'm not really a wheel-gun guy, so advice is welcome. Also, any ideas on value? It's not for sale, we want to keep it in the family, and I hope to inherit it one day.

I know this will sound ridiculous to many. Take the grips off and soak the entire gun in 10w synthetic oil for a few weeks.

Hang gun somewhere suspended for a week or so let it drip off. Now take to the normal gun cleaning routine.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    I know this will sound ridiculous to many. Take the grips off and soak the entire gun in 10w synthetic oil for a few weeks.

Hang gun somewhere suspended for a week or so let it drip off. Now take to the normal gun cleaning routine.
    that does not sound do crazy.

Does synthetic make a big difference, serious question, not busting bawlz.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Does synthetic make a big difference
    Former truck fleet manager here.

The detergents in motor oil are specifically designed to clear out the exact contaminants that plague an old and well used gun. Most synthetic oils have much better/stronger/more concentrated detergent packages than most conventional or synthetic blend oils. Letting the oil soak into the gun and letting that detergent bust up the coking and carbon deposits and other gunk will be super helpful, and with the better detergents in a synthetic it will be more effective.

This is a generalization and you can find synthetics with worse detergent than most conventionals and you can find conventionals with better detergent than most synthetics. But those are exceptions.

Further, synthetic oil has smaller particles than conventional. So it will get through tighter holes. This is why some people say synthetic makes their car leak more. I'm not sure a well used revolver has tight enough nooks and crannies for that to matter - but it can't hurt.

I've used Mobil 1. It goes into areas that have never been cleaned.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    although there are not official "series" or "models" or "generation" it IS a 1st generation. they were originally built on a Police Positive Special frame with the 2" barrel, in 1927-ish. shortly after they were marked Detective Special. you can tell on this pistol by the sharp squared off corners of the butt and the half moon front sight blade. also the knurled knob on the end of the ejector rod, but i dont have my reference books to describe how that changed. the 2nd generation went to what Colt's called a round butt which basically just took the corners off the frame. they also went to serrated ramp front sight. i believe that "generation" started in the late 30s (again, no reference book handy). in 1966 the grip frame was shortened by 3/4" but the stocks stayed the same length. they had a step where the met under the frame. the short frame is often considered 3rd generation. this is shorter frame allowed the Agent to be made with frame length stocks for better concealability. in 1972 they added a barrel with a shrouded ejector rod.

nice piece!

MGO Member
    I always enjoy seeing old Colts that were used for their intended purpose....not put on a pedestal.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

Quote Originally Posted by ltdave View Post

nice piece!

Agreed! And Nice Story! Thanks for sharing!

I am a Forum User
    Hi mr waverly

While i am a s&w guy, I can appreciate and respect the history and respect that gun deserves.
    I Recomend that you definately not immerse that treasure in oil, synthetic, or any other fluid.

There is no need to submerse it in any fluid if it is operating correctly. Matter of fact, I would not take the faceplate off unless you knew what you were doing..

All the s&w armorers were trained to use hoppe's gun oil as a cleaning agent or remoil. .

I would lightly scrub with remoil on the exterior. If more cleaning is necessary, ezzox or gunzilla. On the exterior, bore, and cylendars. Bore tech carbon remover, bore tech copper remover, or bore tech lead remover if nevessary.

If it is not operating correctly, disassemble following a colt revolver you tube video if you have too. Reassemble using gun oil only.

These old revolvers are treasures. There are tricks to disassemble them correctly and soaking them is not the way to take care of them .

Regards,
    Cranky