Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Rifle Orientation in Case / Foam

I'm about ready to cut foam for a PRS kit and the conversation came up at the range with some others today. Brought varying points of interest, reasons why, etc. Curious what others think.

The question was: Which way (direction) do you cut the foam for a rifle in the case? Pointing one direction or another? Serial number up, down, etc. If you open the case, do you want the muzzle or stock to your left or right? Why? Or does it matter?

I am a Forum User
    The opposite of the picture. Scope by the handle so there isn't pressure on it while carrying. Not that I think it really makes a difference.

MGO Board of Directors

I would turn the gun in the photo so that the muzzle is to the left.
    This would have the muzzle pointing downrange when I open the case on the shooting bench because I am right handed.
    I also prefer the scope toward the handle, to protect it (the scope) better in the event the case is dropped while being carried.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    The opposite of the picture. Scope by the handle so there isn't pressure on it while carrying. Not that I think it really makes a difference.
    Everyone in the discussion agreed that was not the way they'd do it. Common debate topic online as well. I believe the general consensus is if there was pressure being put on the scope, then the foam was cut incorrectly and not supporting the barrel, stock, etc as it should.

Be that as it may, scope upside down, muzzle to the left or right, or no matter to you?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Everyone in the discussion agreed that was not the way they'd do it. Common debate topic online as well. I believe the general consensus is if there was pressure being put on the scope, then the foam was cut incorrectly and not supporting the barrel, stock, etc as it should.

Be that as it may, scope upside down, muzzle to the left or right, or no matter to you?

I think if one were to drop the case it would most likely be on the bottom, away from the handle. So I would put the rifle in the case with the scope up at the top near the handle.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    I think if one were to drop the case it would most likely be on the bottom, away from the handle. So I would put the rifle in the case with the scope up at the top near the handle.
    With the muzzle pointing Left or Right?

Since I do most of my long gun shooting at Island Lake, with their benches as shown in the picture and me being right handed, I would prefer the configuration in your picture. Setting my case on the left side, the muzzle would be pointing down range when I removed the rifle from the case. I set up my sandbags and shoot from the right side. To each his own.

Name:  downloadfile-7.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  100.2 KB
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    I believe the general consensus is if there was pressure being put on the scope, then the foam was cut incorrectly and not supporting the barrel, stock, etc as it should.
    If the foam is cut or shaped to properly supports the firearm, it shouldn't matter. Period. Orientation is a matter of preference.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    Since I do most of my long gun shooting at Island Lake, with their benches as shown in the picture and me being right handed, I would prefer the configuration in your picture. Setting my case on the left side, the muzzle would be pointing down range when I removed the rifle from the case. I set up my sandbags and shoot from the right side. To each his own.

Name:  downloadfile-7.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  100.2 KB
    Several had this point. Most ranges want rifles uncased on the bench. Other private ranges, clubs etc. I've seen on the ground, or the bench, but *always* muzzle down range, etc.

Others preferred whichever way they throw their rifle in the truck, and take it out to walk down to a range (PRS match or something similar where you're not off a bench).

Hence the conversation on which, preference, and any reason why other than simply personal preference.