Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Forgot to register pistol to police station

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem a friend is having. They bought their first and only gun in 2017 but never turned in the registration. I know there is a fine of $250 but is that all? They want to turn it in tomorrow but was wondering if the penalty will be bigger then what we've read.

I am a Forum User
    It's a $250 civil infraction. That's it. At this point I personally wouldn't even bother turning it in.

I am a Forum User
    It would be cheaper to get out of state CPL and remove the need.

I am a Forum User
    If they really want to turn it in, mail it in.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Are you sure they didn't turn it in, or did it get lost in the mail? mailing is acceptable and if it never showed up, that's not their fault.
    Also, in these times of reduced taxes and speeding tickets, I'd be VERY hesitant to bring any attention to myself owing $250.
    It's the same fine if they get caught tomorrow as IF they get caught 20 years from now. They can't un-do the civil infraction that has already occurred.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member
    I would do one of two things:

1) Don't do anything. It's a $250 ticket if ever caught.

2) Mail it into the police. I would doubt that they would do anything as most in my area don't seem to know or don't care. Not to mention with COVID I'm sure they have more important things going on right now. Now, they may care and send a ticket but you could contest it if you choose as they don't truly know when you mailed it in.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotWholesale View Post

2) Mail it into the police. I would doubt that they would do anything as most in my area don't seem to know or don't care. Not to mention with COVID I'm sure they have more important things going on right now. Now, they may care and send a ticket but you could contest it if you choose as they don't truly know when you mailed it in.

2) Get a non-resident CPL from somewhere like AZ, FL, or UT. It will cost less than half the potential $250 fine while simultaneously ridding you of the requirement to register ANY handguns in MI for the next 5-6-7 years (length dependent upon where you get your non-resident CPL from).

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotWholesale View Post

Grpd sent an officer to hand deliver a civil infraction ticket a few years back to a friend that sent his in late just a fine but still

I am a Forum User
    It has been suggested to get an out of state permit as a possible solution. I question whether that would be valid since the purchase date and deadline requirement to submit the RI-060 would have long since passed before any new out of state permit was valid. In my humble opinion, I would not stop or fail to turn in an RI-060 that was dated any earlier than 10 days before the issue date of my out of state permit.

As an example, you get pulled over in your car for speeding and you don't have a driver license. The officer cites you for speeding and for not having a driver license. You dispute the ticket and before you reach your court date, you go get a valid driver license and present that to the judge. Do you think the judge is going to throw out the driving without a license violation because you have a driver license now?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by fc2462 View Post
    It has been suggested to get an out of state permit as a possible solution. I question whether that would be valid since the purchase date and deadline requirement to submit the RI-060 would have long since passed before any new out of state permit was valid. In my humble opinion, I would not stop or fail to turn in an RI-060 that was dated any earlier than 10 days before the issue date of my out of state permit.

As an example, you get pulled over in your car for speeding and you don't have a driver license. The officer cites you for speeding and for not having a driver license. You dispute the ticket and before you reach your court date, you go get a valid driver license and present that to the judge. Do you think the judge is going to throw out the driving without a license violation because you have a driver license now?
    Read post #5 above. Especially the first sentence.

Now read it again. Especially the first sentence.

Then, if you still don't understand what DrScaryGuy is telling you, read it yet again. Especially the first sentence.

NOW ... get your out of state CPL to avoid future handgun registration.

Don't overthink this one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast