Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Read post #5 above. Especially the first sentence.

Now read it again. Especially the first sentence.

Then, if you still don't understand what DrScaryGuy is telling you, read it yet again. Especially the first sentence.

NOW ... get your out of state CPL to avoid future handgun registration.

Don't overthink this one.

MGO Member
    I would do one of two things:

1) Don't do anything. It's a $250 ticket if ever caught.

2) Get a non-resident CPL from somewhere like AZ, FL, or UT. It will cost less than half the potential $250 fine while simultaneously ridding you of the requirement to register ANY handguns in MI for the next 5-6-7 years (length dependent upon where you get your non-resident CPL from).
    While I'll agree that getting an out of state CPL would help it may not matter in this case. If he purchased the gun before the second CPL was purchased it may not exempt him from that purchase as it occurred before the date of the CPL. I could be wrong however, in most cases exemptions must be true before the act that occurs.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotWholesale View Post
    While I'll agree that getting an out of state CPL would help it may not matter in this case. If he purchased the gun before the second CPL was purchased it may not exempt him from that purchase as it occurred before the date of the CPL. I could be wrong however, in most cases exemptions must be true before the act that occurs.
    Right. The 10 day period came and went. Now, he is subject to a $250 civil infraction, regardless if he registers it now or not. Getting an out of state license isn't retroactive (and Scoop wasn't saying it is).

Registering now is simply self incriminating…it doesn't undo the failure to register within 10 days (unless, of course, he mailed it in within 10 days).
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Right. The 10 day period came and went. Now, he is subject to a $250 civil infraction, regardless if he registers it now or not. Getting an out of state license isn't retroactive (and Scoop wasn't saying it is).

Registering now is simply self incriminating…it doesn't undo the failure to register within 10 days (unless, of course, he mailed it in within 10 days).
    Read post #5 above. Especially the first sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post

Are they really going to dig deep into the background of your out of state CPL? If not, it would work retroactive because they have no idea how many times you may have renewed it.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by donald150 View Post
    Are they really going to dig deep into the background of your out of state CPL? If not, it would work retroactive because they have no idea how many times you may have renewed it.
    Unchartered waters...
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Uncharted

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

How would the State know about the gun?
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by donald150 View Post
    No need.

Apparently, I have to spell this out: "I PUT THE REGISTRY COPY IN AN ENVELOPE, ADDRESSED IT TO <insert local LE agency name here>, PUT A STAMP ON IT AND MAILED IT. THIS IS ALL THE LAW REQUIRED ME TO DO."

No need.

Apparently, I have to spell this out: "I PUT THE REGISTRY COPY IN AN ENVELOPE, ADDRESSED IT TO <insert local LE agency name here>, PUT A STAMP ON IT AND MAILED IT. THIS IS ALL THE LAW REQUIRED ME TO DO."
    Michael Flynn?
    The Constitution is NOT dead. It's just being held captive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast