Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: AR15 uppers

MGO Member Forum User

AR15 uppers

I find myself in a unique position to be able to review 4 6.5 grendel uppers.
    The first one is the Larue Ultimate Upper kit. For about $800 shipped you get everything you need minus a stripped lower. This kit also includes the Larue trigger of your choice. Their triggers are SUPERB.
    This is the upper that stands above the others. The machining is beautiful, the throat is clean and the rifling looks clean and crisp. For the price this is my first pick now.

The other three are all similar in machining. The throats are a little “crunchy looking “ but everything is functional. These include PSA, Grendel Hunter, and SOLGW.
    I was really hoping the SOLGW or the GH would show a bigger difference from the PSA. In the end I would buy PSA if I wanted to save a couple bucks but really I would probably just get the Larue.

Andy

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I had wondered what Grendel hunter was like. I expected a nice product due to them being dedicated to the caliber.

I am a Forum User
    If you want a superb Grendel upper then just buy the Odin Works Barrel, BCG and adjustable gas block. Super components for about $350.

MGO Member Forum User
    Thought I would come back and do another review now that I’ve had some time to hunt with these and shoot them more.
    Bottom line for any of the uppers/guns I have listed above in the 6.5 Grendel caliber is they all shoot and function perfectly fine with a broad range of ammo including steel cased!
    The Larue is a beast. At 18” it weighs as much as the 20” Grendel Hunter. The SOLGW at 16” is the lightest of the bunch and has become my favorite for that reason. At 16” it’s handy and lightweight and it doesn’t give up that much ballistics wise to the longer tubes.
    They all shoot admirable groups at 100 yards and go bang every time so far. Is it worth buying the more expensive guns/parts vs the less expensive guns/parts? I can’t answer that for you what I can say is the more expensive ones may look a little nicer or be a little heavier but they all get the job done.
    If I had to pick one for a SHTF end of days scenario it would be the larue because it’s built for battle.
    Hopefully this helps someone.

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    I just bought a Bear Creek Arms 6.5 Grendel upper. At $325 it was a very good deal. I have not shot it yet to see what it's capable of doing but even if it's no good I can replace the bad parts (barrel) and end up with a very good gun for less money. This will never be a SHTF gun as I have others that would fit that bill much better due to ammo issues.

MGO Member Forum User
    I looked at the Bear Creek Uppers pretty hard before I bought anything. In the end I went with PSA because I had previously used them with good results.
    With Bear Creek the reviews were all over the place. One review said it shoots 1/2 moa and the next says he can't hit minute of barn door. The upside is they (BCA) seem to take care of any complaints.

I am a Forum User
    One hour and thrity eight minutes from Camp Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mi-Infidel View Post
    I looked at the Bear Creek Uppers pretty hard before I bought anything. In the end I went with PSA because I had previously used them with good results.
    With Bear Creek the reviews were all over the place. One review said it shoots 1/2 moa and the next says he can't hit minute of barn door. The upside is they (BCA) seem to take care of any complaints.
    Yeah, I read those as well. However, I can buy a new Barteline barrel for it and I would still save a couple of hundred dollars. So, maybe I get lucky and get a good one. A target tack driver it will never be. But deer are not the size of tacks either. 2 to 3-inch moa is fine.