Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

a first @ the range...(my CZ fell apart)

Went to the indoor range early yesterday..there by just after 6 a.m. (no traffic getting there!)
    and proceeded to shoot a couple of 9mm's I haven't shot recently ( a Sig 226 & a CZ 75B)

Like both pistols, but since trying a 1911 in 9mm, these haven't seen much used in the past few yrs..
    The Sig is an older made in Germany model, I bought from someone on MGO..always wanted to try a Sig.
    The CZ I'd bought new @ Cabelas, some years ago, bought because it was on sale,
    & I'd read about CZ 75's but hadn't tried shooting one..( & again..it was on SALE)

Much to my surprise,I was shooting slightly tighter groups with the CZ..which I attribute to it's
    more substantial heft..CZ's all steel frame, vs the Sig's aluminum frame.

After I finished shooting, I was sweeping up my brass ,to be picked up & saw a metal part on the floor.
    Looks like the safety from the CZ.. Look @ CZ..safety's missing! Safety fell off ? (!)
    also found, ( in with cases) a small square-ish , flat piece of metal, less than 1/4" in size.
    Guess it must have broken off the safety ?

Went home, looked up CZ warranty (had it awhile, but hasn't been shot much) see it's warranty is good for 5 yrs.
    Get out my firearms record & find receipt for this pistol..I bought it 10 yrs. ago ? !

Decide to call my gun Guru ..Doug Jones. I describe what had happened & he tells me he probably has the parts I need in his stash.
    Off to see Doug..remember to take parts. Doug examines pieces..it wasn't broken, had just come apart while shooting ! (?)
    He works on it awhile, figuring out where & how parts fit.. .not sure if mine is "new" version or old ?
    The small piece of metal is actually a plate that sits in a recess under the safety..& is held in place by a small spring..very difficult to access.
    After about an hour it's back together..safety works as it should.

Still some question on how this incident occurred ..Doug believes the safety may have not been assembled correctly..
    which resulted in it falling out. Since I haven't put a lot of rds thru the pistol, it's possible.

Curious if anyone reading this ever had this happen ? I really appreciate Doug fixing this for me..
    as I'd have had to send it back to the factory..I lack the patience to get it to fit..& doubt I'd been able to figured how it went together anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    Went to the indoor range early yesterday..there by just after 6 a.m. (no traffic getting there!)
    and proceeded to shoot a couple of 9mm's I haven't shot recently ( a Sig 226 & a CZ 75B)

Like both pistols, but since trying a 1911 in 9mm, these haven't seen much used in the past few yrs..
    The Sig is an older made in Germany model, I bought from someone on MGO..always wanted to try a Sig.
    The CZ I'd bought new @ Cabelas, some years ago, bought because it was on sale,
    & I'd read about CZ 75's but hadn't tried shooting one..( & again..it was on SALE)

Much to my surprise,I was shooting slightly tighter groups with the CZ..which I attribute to it's
    more substantial heft..CZ's all steel frame, vs the Sig's aluminum frame.

After I finished shooting, I was sweeping up my brass ,to be picked up & saw a metal part on the floor.
    Looks like the safety from the CZ.. Look @ CZ..safety's missing! Safety fell off ? (!)
    also found, ( in with cases) a small square-ish , flat piece of metal, less than 1/4" in size.
    Guess it must have broken off the safety ?

Went home, looked up CZ warranty (had it awhile, but hasn't been shot much) see it's warranty is good for 5 yrs.
    Get out my firearms record & find receipt for this pistol..I bought it 10 yrs. ago ? !

Decide to call my gun Guru ..Doug Jones. I describe what had happened & he tells me he probably has the parts I need in his stash.
    Off to see Doug..remember to take parts. Doug examines pieces..it wasn't broken, had just come apart while shooting ! (?)
    He works on it awhile, figuring out where & how parts fit.. .not sure if mine is "new" version or old ?
    The small piece of metal is actually a plate that sits in a recess under the safety..& is held in place by a small spring..very difficult to access.
    After about an hour it's back together..safety works as it should.

Still some question on how this incident occurred ..Doug believes the safety may have not been assembled correctly..
    which resulted in it falling out. Since I haven't put a lot of rds thru the pistol, it's possible.

Curious if anyone reading this ever had this happen ? I really appreciate Doug fixing this for me..
    as I'd have had to send it back to the factory..I lack the patience to get it to fit..& doubt I'd been able to figured how it went together anyway.
    No but i watched a pretty fine gunsmith polish my 75B and the CZ is like a Rubik Cube in many respects - the Safety looks to be held in by a spring fitting into a 'notch' in the safety bar itself which also IIRC holds the sear cage in as well. I don't think I ever saw so many springs in one handgun B-4! And I'm amazed most of those springs never broke exc the Trigger return spring (which many thot was a "CZ engineered" problem to begin with until CGW solved it with better springs and CZ strted to rectify it themselves). See Safety Detent plunger and the small thin 'washer' type item and the vertical pin that influence the safety also)

Here's a pretty clear breakdown of the B - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/czec...cs-t14688.html
    Last edited by PeeDee; 06-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.

I am a Forum User
    1 st, Thanks for the link..
    it does show some of the complexity of this pistol..makes a 1911 look quite simple, IMO.

The disassembly video doesn't show how difficult the removal (& install)
    of the safety actually is..
    or perhaps the pistol is a bit different than the model I have (?)

The safety does have a round (maybe 1/4" in dia.) piece attached to the bar of the safety lever..
    this circular piece has a small hole where a very small spring slides inside. On my pistol, this spring had a slight kink in it,
    which made Doug think it had not been fitted/assembled properly @ the factory.
    Doug straightened the bent portion of the spring. then inserted the (previously bent) end of the spring into the hole in the circular piece.
    then while using a very thin piece of piano wire (held in needle nose pliers) the plate was pushed (forward ? / backward ?)
    while inserting the safety, and the small plate piece was moved into a groove machined in the safety cross bar..
    Like you need 3 hands to do the maneuvering on some very small pieces..

still find it hard to believe Doug could get things in place, and that they work as designed.
    We both had a laugh, wondering just how these pistols are assembled @ the factory.
    A special tool ? or just dioing this task over & over again..I'd really enjoy seeing how THEY ( the factory) does it..

added:
    re-viewed the photos.. & this does look different than my pistol..the 2 last pictures on the thread are the only views shown of the back side of the safety.
    Though the circular portion on the safety that I described is shown, I don't see the small hole for the spring,( which is @ about the 9 o'clock position) or the small spring
    that protrudes from that piece. The small plate (or the area machined in the frame for it) is not visible either.
    also noticed..This pistol has an ambi-safety..mine does not.
    Last edited by joepistol; 06-30-2020 at 05:47 PM.

some of the 75s you can switch from safety to decocker. I bet someone messed it up, put the wrong part in, half way put it back together etc. It was not clear if you bought yours new or used at Cabelas. The warranty makes me think its new, but maybe not.

If you had the right parts put in by doug, I would not sweat it. Does seem on, but the one part that would just fall apart, is the user selectable modular switchable part.

i haven't seen the insides of a 75B since the smith did mine some years back. You can see perhaps if you enlarge the pictures, that the safety detent slides back toward the gun's rear over or in front of a spring and IIRC there is a 'silly?' washer-like piece that fits into a miniscule groove in the frame, sort of like a half-moon sliver cutout.

I was always leery of the complexity of the springs and that's why when my PCR trigger return spring broke @ 124 rds, CZ replaced it but i bought all new springs for the gun from CGW plus new pins and FP and main spring etc and had the same older smith back in PA install ever one of them!

Sometimes I wonder if the capacity of the CZ is worth more than the simplicity of the 191!!

I am a Forum User
    just for clarification..
    I bought my CZ new @ Cabelas & never had a problem with it, until...

I am a Forum User
    I work on all my guns as I take them apart to the bone frame, beretta 92, sig p226 p320, 1911s . One time I mustered enough courage to work on a CZ 75 SP01 tactical with decocker and install a cajun kit in it.. I couldn't wait until I put it back together.. the toughest son of a gun complicated design to work on.. I was having nightmares putting the sear back with that hair thick decocker lever spring.. The models with the safety are a little easier compared to the decocker version, but still too much nonsense. Glad that you found the part and glad that you have a great friend like Doug Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    I work on all my guns as I take them apart to the bone frame, beretta 92, sig p226 p320, 1911s . One time I mustered enough courage to work on a CZ 75 SP01 tactical with decocker and install a cajun kit in it.. I couldn't wait until I put it back together.. the toughest son of a gun complicated design to work on.. I was having nightmares putting the sear back with that hair thick decocker lever spring.. The models with the safety are a little easier compared to the decocker version, but still too much nonsense. Glad that you found the part and glad that you have a great friend like Doug Jones.
    THe hardest part of the decocker is getting your hands into the right position to install the springs in the sear cage. The tiny weightless spring on the right (forget its name) will fly away if you simply breathe on it, and that is no joke!!

For as complicated as they are, I give CZ credit for making pretty good springs, w/ the exception of their trigger return spring until they changed to a newer style.

CGW has done more to improve CZ than the factory itself has, IMO.

I am a Forum User
    .." glad that you have a great friend like Doug Jones. "

Yeah, truer words were never spoken..
    I recommend Doug to many I hear that are looking for a gunsmith, not only because of his competency in all things gun repair related,
    but also because he truly is a good guy that goes out of his way to help people out.
    He's lost some work in the past, explaining to me why having him do something I want done to a gun may not be a good idea.
    I don't think his behavior toward me (& my issues) is any different than it is with any of his other customers.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    THe hardest part of the decocker is getting your hands into the right position to install the springs in the sear cage. The tiny weightless spring on the right (forget its name) will fly away if you simply breathe on it, and that is no joke!!

For as complicated as they are, I give CZ credit for making pretty good springs, w/ the exception of their trigger return spring until they changed to a newer style.

CGW has done more to improve CZ than the factory itself has, IMO.
    OK I have a confession.. I lost the first spring and couldn't find it.. I then ordered 3 springs from Cajun Gun works for a just in case. Putting the gun back together was halted for a week until I got the extra springs.. That was frustrating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast