Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Are We Having An Ammo Shortage???

I haven't had the need to buy or sell any ammo recently. A friend asked if I'd sell him a couple boxes of 9 MM practice ammo.

I went on line to see what the going price was and found that every www site I visited was virtually out of all the popular calibers.

Is this due the concerns people have about civil unrest or just reduced production?

Your thoughts????

I am a Forum User
    Based on what people ask for ammo prices on MGO, it looks like we are in a shortage.. I only buy JHP defensive ammo once in a while every six months or so.. Haven't felt the pinch yet but I am sure ammo is very rare to find.

I am a Forum User
    Absolutely in a shortage. Not just high prices but just plain can't get a lot of items. Someone in a different thread mentioned not just distribution but the supply line itself being impacted by the wonton virus. Couple that with early panic buying and there is a dearth of ammo out there. Similar situation for reloading components.

I am not sure there will be an end in near sight considering elections are right around the corner and the demand that will place on ammo/guns.

Make your shots count.

I am a Forum User
    This has been a perfect storm. First COVID. All employees were laid off and people bought all the ammo they could. Then employees started coming back and then the riots started. People are buying as much ammo as possible. I know ammo companies that don’t even now when they are going to be able to load .223/5.56 because they can’t secure components. The scary part is the election is coming up and we all know ammo sales will go way up in November especially if that one guy wins. I would suggest reloading but even components are scarce.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    Absolutely in a shortage. Not just high prices but just plain can't get a lot of items. Someone in a different thread mentioned not just distribution but the supply line itself being impacted by the wonton virus. Couple that with early panic buying and there is a dearth of ammo out there. Similar situation for reloading components.

I am not sure there will be an end in near sight considering elections are right around the corner and the demand that will place on ammo/guns.

Make your shots count.
    Yep correct. Supply has been affected as well and as soon as somebody has ammo it’s gone. I have enough for the time being but my shooting has slowed down quite a bit. Hoping it’ll turn around a little before elections

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist View Post
    I haven't had the need to buy or sell any ammo recently. A friend asked if I'd sell him a couple boxes of 9 MM practice ammo.

I went on line to see what the going price was and found that every www site I visited was virtually out of all the popular calibers.

Is this due the concerns people have about civil unrest or just reduced production?

Your thoughts????
    That is why I've started to reload again, price up to the point reloading 9mm, 45acp makes sense. Have plenty of 223/5.56..

I am a Forum User
    When you've been shooting for awhile, you notice the periodic shortages of ammo & wide fluctuations in ammo prices, brought on by political events,
    & sometimes for what seems to be, for no apparent reason..and start hand loading. Much easier to save your brass, stock up on components, & never have to
    worry if you can find ammo when you need or want it.. Can also save $ by buying components when they're on sale, buy in bulk, join in group purchases, etc..
    I hand load for every center fire caliber I own... & never run out of ammo.

I am a Forum User
    I bet it continues for at least a year.

I want to say the fires in Australia also impacted ammo production. Aside from some popular reloading powder, they supply CONUS ammo factories as well, and the shutdown mixed with the fires just kept the Aussies from being able to make powder with any efficiency.

5.56 has gotten ridiculous. It’s more economical to shoot my stockpile of 7.62 NATO than to buy new 5.56. Last I looked the cheapest was $0.40/ea if bought by the thousand from SG. Most places are $0.48+ per.

It might promote me to finally buy a set of dies for 5.56. I never considered it before since it just wasn’t worth my time and effort to press something out I could get for south of $0.35/ per pre panic. Not that I’ve saved brass though...... And I have no idea what current component supply is like for the caliber right now. It’s probably not good.

In the mean time I’m pressing .45 colt and .454 and just blasting that stuff up instead of running through my supply of factory ammo for the popular calibers.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast