Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Firearm safety with one hand?

The timing of the following events couldn't have been worse if I intended things to happen...

Currently and for at least the next two weeks and probably longer, I am a one-armed man (don't tell Dr Kimble, please, I don't want him to think I killed his wife.) About two days AFTER I lost the use of my left arm, the wife and I had our orientation with BWSA. Obviously, we've not been out there yet.

So, my question (because dang it, I've got ammo burning a hole in my safe!) is, any suggestions on shooting one-handed? Not so much the mechanics of the shooting, but more, swapping mags, dealing with any potential jams, etc?
    The wife has already offered to handle loading magazines and racking the slide, but part of me is still concerned about other potential issues...

As for what I did? Broke my wrist taking a fall while on a bicycle ride, thankfully I'm a righty and do IT work and have been able to keep working (albeit slower.)

MGO Member
    Just for your safety I am willing to drive over and pick up that dangerous ammo burning a hole in your safe and dispose of it for you.

Seriously, maybe work with a range safety officer or other experienced shooter to practice one hand shooting. I use to practice one hand shooting a bit.
    Everybody SHOULD practice it.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Sounds like you're going to have to practice "safe enough".
    e.g. eject and let gravity or your belt pull out your mags, flip the gun over and hold it between your legs, still pointing down-range-ish and do your reload, rack the slide on your belt without flagging your foot, etc.
    I'm sure youtube has plenty of stuff. A lot of people train to be down one arm and still keep fighting. there have to be videos of techniques.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I know all the various one-handed malfunction clearing drills, mag changes, etc but they're not something I would do at a typical indoor range. They mostly involve racking the slide off your belt, which makes you point the gun at the floor right in front of you. That's fine on a nicer range where you get your own bay, or a training class, but not on most ranges.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I think I'll put some dummy rounds in my pistol and see how things go, get some practice in on the reloading, slide manipulation, etc.

Wrinkledshirt, I watched at least the start of the hickok45 video, mostlt because I saw the cast on his wrist. Now to try to do the same with my pistol...

This is where good sights come into play, sights that are made with a "shelf" to rack the gun off of.
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/su...ry/trijicon-hd
    Active airport shooter