Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member

Pistol Purchase Permit - New Process?

I have a co-worker who is purchasing a pistol from me and does not have a CPL. She went to her police station for a pistol purchase permit (RI-010), but instead of receiving the yellow card stock with printing on both sides, she received a white piece of paper with printing on only one side and nothing anywhere for a notary to sign. It was an RI-010A form which when she called for clarification, they told her that it's application form and that when she returns after purchasing the gun, they'll provide her with the completed yellow form, and notarize it for her.

Does this sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    I have a co-worker who is purchasing a pistol from me and does not have a CPL. She went to her police station for a pistol purchase permit (RI-010), but instead of receiving the yellow card stock with printing on both sides, she received a white piece of paper with printing on only one side and nothing anywhere for a notary to sign. It was an RI-010A form which when she called for clarification, they told her that it's application form and that when she returns after purchasing the gun, they'll provide her with the completed yellow form, and notarize it for her.

Does this sound right?
    NO, that is not right.

The sellers signature is needed on the RI-010, and the seller is entitled to a copy, she won't have that.

Who is doing this, name the department.

MCL 28-422

<-- snip -->
    (4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in triplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Three copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 30 days after the date it is issued.
    (5) If an individual purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall fill out the license forms describing the pistol, together with the date of sale or acquisition, and sign his or her name in ink indicating that the pistol was sold to or otherwise acquired by the purchaser. The purchaser shall also sign his or her name in ink indicating the purchase or other acquisition of the pistol from the seller. The seller may retain a copy of the license as a record of the transaction. The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the license. The purchaser shall return 1 copy of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days after the date the pistol is purchased or acquired. The return of the copy to the licensing authority may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the licensing authority. A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify the department of state police of that determination.
    <-- snip -->
    And if she mails it, how does she get her and the sellers' copy?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    It was Southfield PD. They said they just started this new process 6 weeks ago. The form they provided her was an RI-010A (revision date is like 08/19 or something), and looks similar to the front side of the RI-010 card (it has a seller, buyer, and PD copy). However, it is on white printer paper, and doesn't have a backside which would normally have the notary stuff. According to her, she was told that the form they gave her is all she needs to purchase a gun, and when she returns the form, they will give her a notarized copy. Sounds crazy to me.

My Son had someone try to use that form too. Sent them on their way.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Had a guy show up today with one. Also had a separate sheet with the RI-060 x 3. WTF is going on? No way in hell I am selling a pistol to anyone with this kind of paperwork. You can clearly see the issuing PD. Anyone want to chime in on this?
    Last edited by Northcountry2007; 07-14-2020 at 05:19 AM.

MCL 28-422

<-- snip -->
    (4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in triplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Three copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 30 days after the date it is issued.
    <-- snip -->
    Emphasis added

Those are not forms provided by the MSP, and can not be honored by an FFL or anyone else.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    MCL 28-422

Emphasis added

Those are not forms provided by the MSP, and can not be honored by an FFL or anyone else.
    So why would they send him on his way with this nonsense instead of the purchase permit he clearly asked for? And even include the RI-060? Are they trying to clothesline attempts at purchasing?

Quote Originally Posted by Northcountry2007 View Post
    So why would they send him on his way with this nonsense instead of the purchase permit he clearly asked for? And even include the RI-060? Are they trying to clothesline attempts at purchasing?
    This is just a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) as to what is going on. The Locals are running out of the proper forms and are doing an absolutely crappy job of keeping the process running.
    All of this should have been reported to the MSP by now, there might be some legitimate answers from that vector.

It would not surprise me at all if there is an issue with the supply of the actual RI-010 form. I went grocery shopping again today, the shelves are starting to look like what was always represented to us as how the shelves of a communist country looked like in the cold war era. No stock today, come back next week.
    Last edited by Roundballer; 07-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Northcountry2007 View Post
    Had a guy show up today with one. Also had a separate sheet with the RI-060 x 3. WTF is going on? No way in hell I am selling a pistol to anyone with this kind of paperwork. You can clearly see the issuing PD. Anyone want to chime in on this?
    That's the **APPLICATION** not the actual purchase permit.
    The potential buyer fills out his / her info on this forum, hands it back to the LEO behind the desk, they [LEO] use it to run the NICS background check, *THEN* (if gtg) they issue the purchaser the yellow card stock LTP we've all seen that you use to buy from a private party.

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    That's the **APPLICATION** not the actual purchase permit.
    The potential buyer fills out his / her info on this forum, hands it back to the LEO behind the desk, they [LEO] use it to run the NICS background check, *THEN* (if gtg) they issue the purchaser the yellow card stock LTP we've all seen that you use to buy from a private party.
    I quoted and linked the law above. The forms are to be ones "provided by the director of the department of state police".
    These "home made forms" are not acceptable by law.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast