Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Is my ar pistol build all Michigan legal?

Thinking about a 10.5" PSA slant kit it has a 12" handrail and a muzzle device the overall length says 21 inch's on the website if I add a sylvan arms folding hinge adapter do you guys think I'll be Michigan compliant

I am a Forum User

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by battingthread View Post
    Thinking about a 10.5" PSA slant kit it has a 12" handrail and a muzzle device the overall length says 21 inch's on the website if I add a sylvan arms folding hinge adapter do you guys think I'll be Michigan compliant
    If you have to unfold that particular folder on that particular pistol to operate the firearm, all that matters is what the OAL is after you add the adapter (measure unfolded to the end of the tube). The presence or absence of a folding adapter doesn't make a difference. And you don't measure to the end of the muzzle device unless it's pinned/welded - you measure to the end of the threads @ the muzzle.
    Last edited by Scoop; 07-12-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by battingthread View Post
    Adding the folder will actually make it longer for measurement purposes. Shortest operable condition, and the folder adds length unless you use a shorter buffer tube.

Dice

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Thanks. Now I'm hungry.

I am a Forum User
    I don't see how they get 21". A 10.5" barrel with standard buffer tube gets you over 24". The 12" handguard will be very close to 26", but I wouldn't bet on which side of 26". A short buffer tube should ensure it is well below the Michigan 26". That muzzle device is threaded from PSA, so it doesn't count, as is.

I am a Forum User
    The sylvan arms folding hinge adapter does not PREVENT the firearm from firing in the folded position so it would actually shorten the measured length. If it CAN fire at least one round it is considered operational even if not designed or not recommended to be fired while folded. Since MI (and now the ATF I think) uses the shortest operational configuration of a pistol the folding hinge would actually make the measured length shorter. And the length is only measured to the end of the barrel without the removable muzzle device not the end of the hand guard.

10.5” barrel and standard carbine buffer tube gives just under 26 inches length.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    The sylvan arms folding hinge adapter does not PREVENT the firearm from firing in the folded position ...
    Was not aware of that. Thx.

I am a Forum User
    "The Truth About The ATF Pistol Brace Proposal Letter" by "mrgunsngear" on youtube is informative.