Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

New to Michigan - RI 060 & out of state CHL?

Hi folks,

I just moved to MI and I'm learning the...interesting rules surrounding pistols and the purchase thereof. Apparently my old state's CHL ISN'T good enough to carry here, but it IS good enough to get me out of some requirements about pistol registration? Do I have that right? Does anyone have a link to an explanation of how all this s**t works? I recently applied for my Michigan CPL but I want to make sure the pistols I brought here are legally registered in the meantime.

This came up in another thread; I decided to start a new one so as not to derail that one.
    Last edited by TomServo; 07-09-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarity

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Hi folks,

I just moved to MI and I'm learning the...interesting rules surrounding pistols and the purchase thereof. Apparently my old state's CHL ISN'T good enough to carry here, but it IS good enough to get me out of some requirements about pistol registration? Do I have that right? Does anyone have a link to an explanation of how all this s**t works? I recently applied for my Michigan CPL but I want to make sure the pistols I brought here are legally registered in the meantime.

This came up in another thread; I decided to start a new one so as not to derail that one.
    AG Opinion 7304 is what you're referring to. However, if you have established residency in Michigan, then your resident CPL from the state you came from is (likely) no longer valid. As a MI resident, you'd need a non-resident CPL from another state to be exempt from registering new handgun purchases in Michigan. However, do check the laws of the state you came from (not sure if some other states will convert a resident CPL to a non-resident CPL if you move from there).

That said ... regardless of whether or not you have a CHL from another state, you do not need to "register" any pistols that you currently own and brought with you.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    However, if you have established residency in Michigan, then your resident CPL from the state you came from is (likely) no longer valid. As a MI resident, you'd need a non-resident CPL from another state to be exempt from registering new handgun purchases in Michigan.
    Fortunately, the previous state doesn't list your address on the CHL. There's no distinction between a resident and non-resident CHL. I did complete the change of address process w/ their state police upon establishing residency here.

That said ... regardless of whether or not you have a CHL from another state, you do not need to "register" any pistols that you currently own and brought with you.
    That is good to hear! Finding information on this topic on the Internet is a bear. I had read that I needed to fill out an RI 060 form for each pistol I brought here and mail them in, and my local PD told me that I needed to do some kind of background check because I didn't have a MI CPL yet.

I am a Forum User
    Fortunately, the previous state doesn't list your address on the CHL. There's no distinction between a resident and non-resident CHL. I did complete the change of address process w/ their state police upon establishing residency here.
    I would still check with your former state. It doesn't matter what's listed on the card ... what matters is the statutory law. For example, there are certain situations where MI CPL holders are exempt from the "Pistol Free Zones", such as a corrections officer or a reserve police officer. That person will have the "Exempt" box checked on their physical license. However, if they cease being a corrections officer or a reserve police officer, the checkbox is meaningless, because they are no longer exempt, and carrying in a "Pistol Free Zone" would be a violation of the law. In short, the checkbox doesn't exempt you --- the law does.

That is good to hear! Finding information on this topic on the Internet is a bear. I had read that I needed to fill out an RI 060 form for each pistol I brought here and mail them in, and my local PD told me that I needed to do some kind of background check because I didn't have a MI CPL yet.
    The RI-060 is a Pistol SALES Record. It is completed when handgun ownership changes. You can't be both the "Buyer" and the "Seller", as you already own it.

Further, if you read the actual RI-060 form (last paragraph under INSTRUCTIONS), it clearly indicates that a person who makes a material false statement on the form is guilty of a felony. You don't want to deal with that.
    Last edited by Scoop; 07-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I would still check with your former state. It doesn't matter what's listed on the card ... what matters is the statutory law. For example, there are certain situations where MI CPL holders are exempt from the "Pistol Free Zones", such as a corrections officer or a reserve police officer. That person will have the "Exempt" box checked on their physical license. However, if they cease being a corrections officer or a reserve police officer, the checkbox is meaningless, because they are no longer exempt, and carrying in a "Pistol Free Zone" would be a violation of the law. In short, the checkbox doesn't exempt you --- the law does.
    I did; the state makes no distinction between a resident and non-resident permit. You just have to submit a change of address form in a timely fashion.

The RI-060 is a Pistol SALES Record. It is completed when handgun ownership changes. You can't be both the "Buyer" and the "Seller", as you already own it.
    So is there a different form? Because this thread on this forum says I need to send forms in. But that's from 2011, so who knows what could have changed since then?

The relevant statute just says "Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section," and I don't see any exceptions for people who brought their pistols in from out of state. There's a light exception for current/separated military but that doesn't apply to me.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm just trying to figure out how to own pistols legally.

I am a Forum User
    On further reading, I'm not required to go through the licensing process if the pistol was purchased from an FFL holder.

So I'm OK for the pistols that I bought at a gun store, but not for the ones I inherited or bought from a guy at a gun show?

I love Michigan so far but the rules surrounding pistols are a trip, man.
    Last edited by TomServo; 07-09-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fix smiley

I am a Forum User
    On further reading, I'm not required to go through the licensing process if the pistol was purchased from an FFL holder.

So I'm OK for the pistols that I bought at a gun store, but not for the ones I inherited or bought from a guy at a gun show?

I love Michigan so far but the rules surrounding pistols are a trip, man.
    2011 might as well be 100 years ago in gun years.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm just trying to figure out how to own pistols legally.
    I'm going to say this one last time: You don't have to do anything. It doesn't matter if you bought them from an FFL or from Bozo the Clown back in your old state. (Assuming that) You ALREADY legally own the handguns. The form is a PISTOL SALES RECORD, not a Pistol Relocation Record or a Pistol Birth Certificate. Move, relax and enjoy.
    Last edited by Scoop; 07-09-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Scoop is exactly right. Do not ask for legal advice about guns from the police. A lot of them don't know gun laws very well and some others have an agenda that is based in what they would like, not what is true.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by kryl View Post
    Scoop is exactly right. Do not ask for legal advice about guns from the police. A lot of them don't know gun laws very well and some others have an agenda that is based in what they would like, not what is true.
    That is good advice generally!

I followed the change of address procedure w/ my old state's concealed permit division and received a license from that state w/ my Michigan address on it, therefore the entire question is (thankfully) moot. Strange, since my old resident permit from that state didn't have my address on it at all!

I am a Forum User
    That is good advice generally!

I followed the change of address procedure w/ my old state's concealed permit division and received a license from that state w/ my Michigan address on it, therefore the entire question is (thankfully) moot. Strange, since my old resident permit from that state didn't have my address on it at all!
    What state was that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast