Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The two barrels are each stamped with the one number only---The numbers I indicated... not sure what you mean about "ratio"????

They were under the foregrip on the left side, at the very rear of the barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist View Post
    The two barrels are each stamped with the one number only---The numbers I indicated... not sure what you mean about "ratio"????
    Look back up at the pic. As represented there, the top number is the choke diameter, the bottom is the actual bore diameter. It is represented as a fraction, the ratio of one to the other. If the upper number was larger than the lower, it would be a "spreader" choke. The "choke value" is calculated from the difference, the "constriction", and is not the same between the different gauges.
    As Manufacturing processes improved and barrel diameters became more consistent with lower tolerances, it became not necessary to list both numbers. The tradition of having both carried on for quite a while after the need ended. If the second number isn't there, you just use the nominal value for that gauge, I was just double checking, it does affect the differences, the "constriction".

They were under the foregrip on the left side, at the very rear of the barrels.
    The numbers you provided were the correct ones. On over/under they should be right were you found them. On a SxS they should be at the very rear of the barrel on the bottom, or on the flat in the same general place.

12 Gauge 16 Gauge 20 Gauge 28 Gauge .410 Bore American English Browning Italian Spanish Perazzi Percentage
    Constriction Constriction Constriction Constriction Constriction Designation Designation Codes Codes Codes Codes Pattern
    .000" -.001" .000" - .001" .000" - .001" .000" .000" cylinder true cylinder *** C**** ***** 0 40%
    .002" - .006" .002" - .005" .002" - .004" .001" - .004" .001" - .002" skeet impr cylinder **$ S 1 45%
    .007" -.013" .006" - .012" .005" - .011" .005" - .007" .003" - .006" impr cyl quarter **- **** **** 3 55%
    .014" -.023" .013" - .021" .012" - .019" .008" - .014" .007 - .012" modified half ** *** *** 4 60%
    .024" -.031" .022" - .028" .020" - .026" .015" - .020" .013" - .017 " impr mod three quarter *- ** ** 6 65%
    .032" -.040" .029" - .037" .027" - .033" .021" - .027" .018" - .021" full full * * * 9 70%
    .040"+ .038"+ .034"+ .028"+ .022"+ extra full 10 75%

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

So bottom line... if a prospective buyer asks about the chokes what are they?

All of this is far more involved than I ever imagined

I am a Forum User
    So bottom line... if a prospective buyer asks about the chokes what are they?

All of this is far more involved than I ever imagined
    As Roundballer stated, you have one (the 18.5) that is a Cylinder bore (no choke) and one (18.4) that is a Skeet choke.

Thanks all for your help and education.

After a couple hours I actually found in my basement the original paper owners manual for the model 27 Browning Leige. They also use a system of astericks (sp) on the right side of the barrels to indicate the type choke. So after owning this gun since 1981 ... I finally know what "it is".

It's a great gun with only 3 days in the field under it's belt in all those years. So watch for it on the long guns for sale thread

I'm guessing the sporting clays shooters would love it.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12