Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the inputs. Explanation around barrel quality (itself and fitting) certainly make sense. Trigger quality as well.

MGO Member
    How many average AR owners would wear out the barrels on their guns? Assuming average quality barrel.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. Explanation around barrel quality (itself and fitting) certainly make sense. Trigger quality as well.
    Barrel quality comes down to chamber dimensions and gas port size. A lot oversize gas ports to ensure functionality, then of course you can run into other issues.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    How many average AR owners would wear out the barrels on their guns? Assuming average quality barrel.
    AR barrels don’t last nearly as long as pistol barrels. They wear out much quicker especially if you do mag dump after mag dump. Depending on the barrel and level of accuracy desired you can expect to change them out around 6,000-10,000 rounds depending on how you treat them

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    So there was a whole lot of research back during Obama 1 if it made sense to use brass or steel ammo and the findings were that with Steel ammo you get like 8,000 rounds out of a barrel and with brass it’s like 10K..

At 8,000 rounds at .25 a piece it would be like 2000 bucks to ruin a barrel unless you shot them all at once

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by nrich1979 View Post
    So there was a whole lot of research back during Obama 1 if it made sense to use brass or steel ammo and the findings were that with Steel ammo you get like 8,000 rounds out of a barrel and with brass it’s like 10K..

At 8,000 rounds at .25 a piece it would be like 2000 bucks to ruin a barrel unless you shot them all at once
    This is a great article from Lucky Gunner regarding barrel wear.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansky2 View Post
    They wear out much quicker especially if you do mag dump after mag dump. D

Do average owners do mag dumps often? I got my first AR about 16 yrs ago and have never done a mag dump through it or the one I got year ago.
    I have done 2 or 3 10rd mag out of my 9mm AR.

MGO Member
    Sorry for the thread drift!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    This is going to be one of those dumb questions...but one I've thought about from time to time.

Before COVID crazy happened, there were ARs to be had for $400. Others for $2000. I have one on the lower end of that.

Does anyone see noticeable difference in accuracy or reliability between the two extremes? All other things being equal (barrel length, twist, ammo, etc.).
    Accuracy can be hit and miss with any barrel manufacturer. Luck of the draw on a duty rig really. Reliability is going to be dependent on the quality of parts and QC of the manufacturer. Last I knew BCM had some serious QC to pass for a part or gun to leave their facility. Lower end, well, you are the QC. I would say you’re going to have to spend about $1k to get a gun that has quality parts and proper assembly.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast