Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User
    Like others have said pretty much. Not all cheap AR's suck but it is a crap shoot. I picked up a FedArm's AR for 410$ before covid. Stock to be honest it was pretty good and was getting good grouping. Over the last year or two I have put another 800 into it for trigger, longer barrel and a few other quality of life items. But overall the BCG, upper, lower and buffer are still stock and runs just fine. I will soon be testing it north of 500yds and expect no issues. I have never bought an out right 1000$ AR, I have shot plenty of them and I do feel stock 400 to 1000+ they are very different. Now compare that with one you add too and it could match up just fine. I opted for cheap AR buy in and bought the parts I wanted. Did I save any $$ not at all but it wasn't such a up front shock to the old lady.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyoustoopid View Post
    Accuracy can be hit and miss with any barrel manufacturer. Luck of the draw on a duty rig really. Reliability is going to be dependent on the quality of parts and QC of the manufacturer. Last I knew BCM had some serious QC to pass for a part or gun to leave their facility. Lower end, well, you are the QC. I would say you’re going to have to spend about $1k to get a gun that has quality parts and proper assembly.
    I think you are about right where at that price point you get a return, it's not showy, it's not mathematical diff you won't see, it's a sweet spot where you are not getting lucky, not getting ripped off etc.

Like a lot of products there's just no way the cheapest is as good as something that is competitive and popular and regarded well that's two three times as much. Food, clothes, what ever.

Other direction holds true. You can buy a $500 gucci t shirt. It's $29-39 t shirt market up.

400 rifles just are never going to be the equal of 900-1200 rifles.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing!
    My pleasure. Lucky Gunner has a LOT of great information, and I really like that on the SD ammo they sell, they test themselves and you can find links to the testing they have done. Check out the 9mm HST 124+p for example, just scroll down the page to see their testing. They have also talked about doing this with the rifle SD/HD type ammo.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyoustoopid View Post
    I would say you’re going to have to spend about $1k to get a gun that has quality parts and proper assembly.
    Every AR I own has proper assembly (or disassembly/reassembly), because I don't let others build mine.

If you don't build your own, you should.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Yeah i think that was one of the better articles.. with .223 and 5.56 I’ve really been using steel ever since

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    How many average AR owners would wear out the barrels on their guns? Assuming average quality barrel.
    Really depends. Service rifle competitors often replace barrels each year or two on their full course rifles where we fire to 600 yards. These barrels are often still fine for 100/200 yard precision.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Lots of good reading on this thread. As a average AR owner I just need a AR to go out on weekends and have fun with. I am not an operator or go out and shoot competitions. I enjoy my lower end AR, that's all I need.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Every AR I own has proper assembly (or disassembly/reassembly), because I don't let others build mine.

If you don't build your own, you should.
    Not everyone has the proper specs, tools/gauges or knowledge as companies such as Colt, BCM, SOLGWs, SIonics, Centurion and all the other names that do it right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123