Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

First new firearm purchase

Out of all the years hunting, I've never bought a BRAND NEW firearm. Well today that changed, i bought a bolt action 350 legend. Its STACKED with factory oil. Do you fellas clean and re-oil or just send it?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xd9sc-doug View Post
    Out of all the years hunting, I've never bought a BRAND NEW firearm. Well today that changed, i bought a bolt action 350 legend. Its STACKED with factory oil. Do you fellas clean and re-oil or just send it?
    Congrats.

I always clean first. If nothing else it get you familiar with the weapon and anything that might be 'off' about it.

I am a Forum User
    I live by the motto, that the first thing you do with any firearm (new or used) is break it down and see if you can get it back together again.

Clean it!
    The factory applies a preservative not a lubricant to firearms prior to shipping. Always clean, and lube as directed in the manual before heading to the range the 1st time.

Edit: I should have said the majority apply no lube. There are a couple manufactures that use a lube/ preservative. Glock I believe is one.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I'd agree. maybe not a total break down & reassemble..that should not be necessary.
    But wiping /cleaning off the shipping oil & lubing the moving parts, then pass a few patches thru the bore & you'll be good to go.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xd9sc-doug View Post
    What did you get?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    What did you get?
    I bought the savage axis 350 legend. It's my boy's deer gun.

I am a Forum User
    Always, always, always break down a new firearm, inspect, "clean" and prep before shooting it. You have NO idea what kind of day the person who built it was having.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Like everyone has said...it's best to clean it, you never know what could be lurking inside...metal shavings, dirt, debris, your neighbors dog...clean it before you shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Always, always, always break down a new firearm, inspect, "clean" and prep before shooting it. You have NO idea what kind of day the person who built it was having.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast