Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Rick's Annual shooting event

MGO Board of Directors

How much is he paying?

This IS a man's private commercial venture, correct?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    How much is he paying?

Wrong. If you read about the event, it has been put on FREE for the last eight years to educate women "only" in the safe use of a firearm.

Last year this event taught just under 1000 women "in one day" with the help of certified instructors and RSO's from Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana.

NO one is getting paid for their time. ALL materials and services are donated ( including from MGO).

The date had to be changed because of covid and some of instructors that had signed on for the original date can't make the August date. That's the reason for the call for more instructors.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    How much is he paying?

At face value, Rick does this all for free. Top Gun, and now this year Recoil Arms (two locations this year) donate their facilities for this event. MGO donates ammo, and starting this year, targets. Fenix Ammo is also donating a sizable amount of ammo, as well. Instructors and RSO's volunteer their time to help with the training and range management. The net cost to Rick is zero (or close to it).

The result is, a LOT of women go from "thinking about" being a shooter to have actually shot a firearm for the first time. It gets them past that initial point of not knowing what they are doing while handling a firearm to having been exposed to a firearm, a gun range, actually shooting all while having some training/guidance in the process (classroom and range).

That is a great thing and I SO WISH it was MGO doing it!

The reality is, the "training" given that day is minimal…and the women know it. Who are they going to look to for full training classes? Of course, Rick! Where are they going to go to shoot and shop? Top Gun or Recoil would be the first thought! So yes, at the end of the day, it is indeed a commercial promotional event and it's a safe bet that is the primary motivation for Rick. If it were 100% MGO's event, it would not be, but it is a fairly safe bet that MGO would not get enough volunteers to support the event. Also, it brings a heap of liability exposure on MGO to try to move that many new shooters through the lanes in one (or two this year) day.

So, even though it is a commercial promo event, the fact that it brings over 1,000 women into the fold as having fired a gun for the first time and wanting more training/experience is a great thing and MGO supports it for that reason…it is 100% MGO mission-centric.

So yeah…volunteer trainers and RSO's are needed!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I've been at most of them since the start and I'm actually pretty sad I can't do it this year. Yes, there is a bit of self promotion that goes on, but as far as I know rick has never discouraged people from handing out their own business cards and such. I remember him encouraging it once or twice, so i'm pretty sure he's not doing it just for promoting his own business.

And I agree, MGO has never made up more than a few of the instructors. They need a LOT of instructors for something like this.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    At face value, Rick does this all for free. Top Gun, and now this year Recoil Arms (two locations this year) donate their facilities for this event. MGO donates ammo, and starting this year, targets. Fenix Ammo is also donating a sizable amount of ammo, as well. Instructors and RSO's volunteer their time to help with the training and range management. The net cost to Rick is zero (or close to it).

The result is, a LOT of women go from "thinking about" being a shooter to have actually shot a firearm for the first time. It gets them past that initial point of not knowing what they are doing while handling a firearm to having been exposed to a firearm, a gun range, actually shooting all while having some training/guidance in the process (classroom and range).

That is a great thing and I SO WISH it was MGO doing it!

The reality is, the "training" given that day is minimal…and the women know it. Who are they going to look to for full training classes? Of course, Rick! Where are they going to go to shoot and shop? Top Gun or Recoil would be the first thought! So yes, at the end of the day, it is indeed a commercial promotional event and it's a safe bet that is the primary motivation for Rick. If it were 100% MGO's event, it would not be, but it is a fairly safe bet that MGO would not get enough volunteers to support the event. Also, it brings a heap of liability exposure on MGO to try to move that many new shooters through the lanes in one (or two this year) day.

So, even though it is a commercial promo event, the fact that it brings over 1,000 women into the fold as having fired a gun for the first time and wanting more training/experience is a great thing and MGO supports it for that reason…it is 100% MGO mission-centric.

So yeah…volunteer trainers and RSO's are needed!
    Must have been a commercial event for MGO the last eight years with them setting up a table and selling memberships all day.

MGO Member
    LAID

I'm surprised that somebody hasn't pushed back on the name of the event. Feminist types must not have noticed.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

no, they are on top of top of this.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

I am a Forum User
    Much appreciation to Spencer Johnson of Firearms Legal Protection for supplying the upcoming women's free shooting event with targets. I have them all "in hand" now! Also, much appreciation to Uncoiled Firearms and Gun Range for sourcing them! You both rock! True story.

MGO Board of Directors

I saw a news article today that reported on the event.

The Associated Press reports that Legally Armed in Detroit has scheduled its annual training event. Recoil Range got mentioned too, as well as Top Gun Range.

No mention of sponser MGO or anyone else.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast