Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Recommend warm hunting coat and pants

I'm new to deer hunting and need to get a warm hunting coat and pants, preferably that can be worn over other layers such as a sweatshirt and jeans.

I've seen several brands and types in various stores, but none of them looked like they would be very warm. Can anyone recommend warm gear that won't break the bank and that will last? Nice pockets would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Secret to warmth is 2-3 layers. First layer you need tight, poly something wicking. Can be Russel, champion, duofold, under armour whatever. Pants and long sleeve shirt. Then get a long sleeve t or warm up. Then you wear a fleece or jacket.

For me it's all about layers, good boots, too shelf socks, stay dry. Good gloves.

I like the thick poly duluth trading socks.

I have carhartt baselayer, eddie bauer, champion/duofold, under armour, under armour cold condition gear etc etc it's all very similar but it's the most important. Gives you warmth with no bulk. You can be fine walking you don't sweat, if you do it wicks.

I am a Forum User
    The problem I have with modern cold weather coats and pants is they are all some sort of nylon weatherproof shell that is very loud when you move in it. I have a Cabelas jacket that has a soft, weatherproof, scentlock outer layer. The outermost layer gets wet, but the under layers stay dry.

I am a Forum User
    Insulated overalls may be low tech, but work well in the cold..
    wearing layers as described above, helps too..
    Most important are good boots that keep your feet warm, even when you are not moving around..
    Don't forget warm hat & gloves.

I am a Forum User
    First off, use the following configuration of layers:

Thin long sleeve base layer.
    Turtleneck (full preferably).
    Hoodie.
    Final over coat (preferably also hooded).

As far as brands, lotsa good ones. I’ve found some of the somewhat vintage Refrigiwear bib/jackets on eBay. But Cabelas and Redhead also have great options. It’s gonna be a lot of trial and error.

Full one piece coverall suits are legit too.

Top layer for me is a Carhartt Artic lined chore coat and bibs. Sweatshirt with stand up collar or thick wool shirt is second, third wool board shirt, fourth t shirt. Maybe silkier under all of this. Jean's under the bibs. Warm sock and boots are a must. Just have to find what is right for you. Honestly, I hate that modern hunting gear. Lightweight crap that tears on every picker. I am sure it is warm, but not my thing. And I hate modern camo.
    If it is only as cold as 30s I actually have a Woolrich red and black plaid hunting suit from the 60s. Awesome gear. Stormy Kromer hat or a fleece usgi cap.

Name:  Screenshot_20200718-185139_Photos.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  94.4 KB

Carhartt. Do not think of anything else.

Fleece long johns.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As for boots, I bought some Columbia winter boots that I used last year, but they weren't nearly as warm as I had hoped. I wore two pairs of socks, regular cotton and a thick wool pair over that. My feet stayed warm for maybe 2hrs sitting in the blind, and it was high 20s low 30s out if I remember correctly. The box said they're good for 15 below...

What do I need to look for when looking for good boots? I'm disappointed I spent well over $100 for boots that I can't use for hunting, but they'll be good enough for shoveling snow.

Last edited by JohnJak; 07-18-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Old military wool blanket is great too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast