Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    Where you located

I am a Forum User
    First Lite Sanctuary coat and pants. I’ve yet to find a better coat and pants. They are quiet, lite, and warm. But you will spend a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 93bandit View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As for boots, I bought some Columbia winter boots that I used last year, but they weren't nearly as warm as I had hoped. I wore two pairs of socks, regular cotton and a thick wool pair over that. My feet stayed warm for maybe 2hrs sitting in the blind, and it was high 20s low 30s out if I remember correctly. The box said they're good for 15 below...

What do I need to look for when looking for good boots? I'm disappointed I spent well over $100 for boots that I can't use for hunting, but they'll be good enough for shoveling snow.
    You want zero water getting in, look up the max grams of insulation. Get the most it's something like 1000 grams maybe. Lots of boots will say they are toasty warm at 400-600 grams. Maybe if you are moving. Get the most might even be over 1,000 might be 1,400 grams. Thinsulate is good.

I am a Forum User
    Two words...merino wool. Lightweight merino base layer followed by midweight or heavyweight second layer and then your choice of outerwear. Outerwear should keep you dry and the wind off you (find something quiet) the underlayers are for warmth.

A nice way to do this on a budget is to just buy the outer camo layers as a thin, oversized "shell" of a light jacket and cargo pants. That way, the heavier warmer stuff you wear underneath could be something you already own, or could at least do double duty for another purpose. I started off this way with an oversized set of thin stuff over regular insulated carhartt bibs and jackets. Of course, dedicated gear is nice, and I bought more than my share over the years.

MGO Member
    The cheapest way...and maybe this isn't true anymore, but get the military camo. They have a 7 layer ECWCS and I usually do 3 or 4 of the layers. However, as the oldmann said...the outer-most goretex layer that is mostly nylon based fabric is very loud. I think the newest generation (think much more expensive) is quieter though. I try to only wear that when it is raining.

The other options are cheap off brand 1 piece insulted suits. You can layer up in that and stay very warm. If you want more traditional there are several wool options. I am planning on purchasing the pathfinder wool sweatshirt from asbellwool.com. I have some other wool clothing that I really enjoy.

My problem isn't my body getting cold though, it's always my feet. Especially in a tree stand. I did buy some different boots this year. We will see if those work better.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
    My problem isn't my body getting cold though, it's always my feet. Especially in a tree stand. I did buy some different boots this year. We will see if those work better.
    Get a warmer hat. Seriously. Cold feet, put a hat on. One of best things I ever learned about being out in the cold.

Layers!
    Dress to be able to add or remove them as you heat up from walking or get chilled once you’re seated in your blind. Sweat is a major cause of loss of body heat.
    A wind proof outer layer is a must and if GorTex it should be sandwiched between a softer outer cover and the inter liner, not exposed. The outer coat material will get wet but it won’t soak through and compromise the insulation.
    Hoods not only keep your head warm, but stop wind from blowing down the back of your neck. One piece coveralls will be warmer then two piece as they trap heat from a larger body area. Think of gloves vs mittens. The individual fingers lose heat much faster then the one piece mitten.
    They make mittens for hunters/shooters with either a flap to allow accessing the trigger or in 3 finger design with a separate index finger. Either work well. I like the flap style with a light glove liner under them.
    Boots can be a problem if you are prone to cold feet like me. A boot with 400/600 grm of insulation is plenty if you’re walking or moving, but you will likely want 800 grm or more if you sit. The same boots that keep your feet warm on a stand in 20* temps or works for ice fishing will be to bulky and heavy for much walking. I carry a extra pair of wool blend socks in my day pack and add them once in the blind. I wear a thinsuate liner sock and wool sock while walking in 800 grm Irish setters. This helps keep That sweat down which speeds up the cooling process once you stop moving
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Einthewoods View Post
    Get a warmer hat. Seriously. Cold feet, put a hat on. One of best things I ever learned about being out in the cold.
    Have a wool hat on, can't get much warmer. It was worth a try though. I think it has to do with my thyroid cancer. Feet and hands just haven't been right since.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
    Have a wool hat on, can't get much warmer. It was worth a try though. I think it has to do with my thyroid cancer. Feet and hands just haven't been right since.
    Another thing is make sure your boots aren’t too tight. Leave a little loose for air space and blood flow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12