Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Should we switch to the AK

Looking at the current scenario being price and availability of 5.56, maybe its time to switch to the AK or AR that fires the AK round. It’s insane the price and availability or ammo (i personally believe its fabricated to drive up prices). Anyone else thought about this?

Do you really think 7.62x39 is easier to find? Cheaper?

I am a Forum User
    Get a 7.62x39 upper and call it a day.

AK ergonomics blow, enough to forego the benefit of a gas piston.

I am a Forum User
    Ammo shortage is very real, and I think it has to do with 2 things.
    A lot of people stock piling again
    Record numbers of new gun owners.

As far as "switching"? No, I don't think you should switch to a different caliber, I think you should ADD a different caliber.

Also, for the ARs that shoot 7.62x39, there have been a LOT of issues for reliability and functionality, and if I were going that route, I would get one that takes the AK mags VS standard AR lower receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Ammo shortage is very real, and I think it has to do with 2 things.
    A lot of people stock piling again
    Record numbers of new gun owners.

As far as "switching"? No, I don't think you should switch to a different caliber, I think you should ADD a different caliber.

Also, for the ARs that shoot 7.62x39, there have been a LOT of issues for reliability and functionality, and if I were going that route, I would get one that takes the AK mags VS standard AR lower receiver.
    Heard good things about the PSA KS47

Quote Originally Posted by Kpkimmel83 View Post
    Looking at the current scenario being price and availability of 5.56, maybe its time to switch to the AK or AR that fires the AK round. It’s insane the price and availability or ammo (i personally believe its fabricated to drive up prices). Anyone else thought about this?
    I have both 5.56 ak, and 7.62x39. Ar15 receivers I have not built.

I would not change horses mid stream. Sure add a AK.

I have not heard much good about ar15 that shoots 7.62x39.

But if you have the funds laying around and the inclination, and you really care about per round cost, AND shoot alot it could pay for itself.

Be sure to look at vz58 if you are shopping aks.

Get an arsenal built, not necessarily arsenal brand. So state run ak from romania, yugo, russian saiga, older used stuff. etc, not kit built stuff. With exception it appears the newest gen of palmetto is well regarded by rob ski of ak operators union who I trust.

I am shooting both, but not shooting my 308 mauser or 308 fal much at all. Just shelf them for the time being.

the demand is up, way up, its real, this happens every election cycle, people go out and buy the stuff they wanted the last 20 years and did not have the cash for, they over pay for ar15, and ak, other stuff that is equally cool mostly flies under the radar. All the preppers, panicers, and with elections and civil unrest people are stacking it deep. People with money are no doubt buying 5,000-10,000 rds. Not all the same stuff, but 22, 9mm, 5.56, 12 guage, and buying 1-2,000 rds for everything they have. Stuff like 22lr, people will buy 5k just because.

Its not fake, this is all real, prices are not fixed.

buying 2k in new guns buys a lot of 5.56 so make sure you look at it and consider it from that angle as well.

But I would never talk someone out of buying an ak or vz58.

I am a Forum User
    Heard good things about the PSA KS47
    From PSA "The Palmetto State Armory KS-47 is based on the AR-15 platform and fires a 7.62x39mm caliber round, allowing you to use AK style magazines. Our KS-47 assembly parts give you full control over your rifle. Shop our great selection of complete firearms and parts today!"

My largest issue with PSA is their QC leaves a bit to be desired. Do they work? Most of the time yes. But have seen a fairly high number sent back for repairs. Not the KS-47 mind you, just PSA in general.

IF i were to go the AR 7.62x39 route, I would look at the CMMG Mutant. In reality though, would just pick up a WASR10 and build it how you want.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Get a 7.62x39 upper and call it a day.

AK ergonomics blow, enough to forego the benefit of a gas piston.
    +1
    I've never had an AK, but am a fan of the 7.62x39 upper. Steel 7.62x39 ammo has been more available,
    The price is only a few dollars more per k than steel .223, if, you can find it. The C products 7.62x39 AR mags
    work great.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    I'm a die hard fan of the AK, in both 5.45 and 7.62...it is a much simpler weapon than the AR and is made of steel and wood/polymer whereas the AR consists of almost twice as many parts, many of them small, and is made of aluminum, steel, brass, and polymer.
    While not as accurate as an AR, I find the AK platform to be less prone to malfunctions than an AR. As far as ammunition goes, 5.45 and 7.62 steel cased Ruskie ammo can be had cheaper than brass cased 5.56...lots of AR guys don't like to run the cheaper steel cased ammo through their AR's.
    But, to each his own...if I were to go to the moon, and only could take one rifle with me, it would be a Kalashnikov.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast