Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    ARs in 7.62 are fun and if you use good mags (C Products), you should have a fun reliable product. The issue is the bolt. In order to make the cartridge work in an AR,they have to really remove alot of steel in the bolt. This produces a less thick wall where the base of the cartridge sits in the bolt, which results in more bolt failures with the AR47. If you go this route, I would stock up on spare bolts, as this is a failure prone area. No way around it, less steel, more chance of fatigue on bolt.

I am a Forum User
    I have several AR platforms in various calibers and an AK. However, my goto rifle is the Ruger Mini-30. This rifle has never misfired. Very accurate. Get the newer series not the 185 or 188.

I am a Forum User
    Don't forget about the Galil Ace. Expensive but very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by erict View Post
    Don't forget about the Galil Ace. Expensive but very nice.
    It's a good value, it's only a couple hundred more than similar arsenal. Comes with more features that are hundreds each. Side folder, rail, better sights.

Why would you want to switch just because there is a ammo shortage, If everyone switched there would be a shortage of 7.62 x 39, Just need to plan ahead and stock pile,
    Noan didn't start building the Ark after it started raining,
    "dying ain't much of a living boy"

Quote Originally Posted by josey wales View Post
    Why would you want to switch just because there is a ammo shortage, If everyone switched there would be a shortage of 7.62 x 39, Just need to plan ahead and stock pile,
    Noan didn't start building the Ark after it started raining,
    If you have the cash over time accumulate a 5.56/223, 7.62x39, 308/7.62x51. I know people with ten ar15 or more. They really should have an fal, ptr91/hk91, vz58, galill, galil ace, sks, ak47.

If you just have one ar15 is hard to beat.

If you have 5-10 rifles you gotta spice it up a lil bit.

I am a Forum User
    .."my goto rifle is the Ruger Mini-30. "... this post made me smile.
    My Mini 30 is the reason I bought a 7.62 X 39 upper for my AR-15.

Had my Mini 30 for a lot of years..since around 1990. The trigger was so crappy I gave up shooting it.
    Met Doug Jones, had him do a trigger job
    & WOW! what a difference..!
    I could actually shoot a group with it.

As soon as I started shooting my Mini 30, I began finding out other things I didn't like about it.
    Fortunately, my rifle was a Ranch rifle, so mounting a scope was easy..with supplied rings.
    My Mini 14 was pre-Ranch model, & mounting a scope is a challenge..the mount I purchased & tried, kept loosening in use.

Tried to find a brass catcher (hand loaders always need to save their brass).. only a few places make them for this rifle, both were
    out of stock when I tried to buy one. Tried a universal brass catcher, didn't like how it worked.. ended up using a ball cap,
    with ends opened, placed around the scope mount, then reattached. This way, the brass remained in a pile @ my feet..w/o having to search for it.

Lastly, is Ruger's mag attachment system..(on both the Mini 14 & 30 ) the mag has a hole in the front of the mag that must match to a pin/stud in the receiver ,
    the be rotated toward the rear of the rifle, to lock in place. This is easy to do, when you look @ the mag & receiver, can be awkward to do while sitting @ a bench & trying to do a mag change.
    May not be a big issue, but in comparison to doing a mag change on an AR, it's more clumbersome..IMO.

For all these reasons, I prefer the AR platform to Ruger's Mini 30.. your experience may be different.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    If you have the cash over time accumulate a 5.56/223, 7.62x39, 308/7.62x51. I know people with ten ar15 or more. They really should have an fal, ptr91/hk91, vz58, galill, galil ace, sks, ak47.

If you just have one ar15 is hard to beat.

If you have 5-10 rifles you gotta spice it up a lil bit.
    In my opinion you need to have 2 of each caliber you are stocking up on.

5.56- ar15 or mini-14 or AUG or FN FNC and I'm sure there are others
    7.62x39- AK, VZ58, SKS, etc
    7.62x51/.308- m1a, ar10, FAL, PTR91, etc

If you have 2 guns that shoot each of those big 3 rifle calibers you are doing well and way ahead of most people. I prefer 2 of each kind of rifle and lots of mags, but I can't always get what I want!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    .."my goto rifle is the Ruger Mini-30. "... this post made me smile.
    My Mini 30 is the reason I bought a 7.62 X 39 upper for my AR-15.

Had my Mini 30 for a lot of years..since around 1990. The trigger was so crappy I gave up shooting it.
    Met Doug Jones, had him do a trigger job
    & WOW! what a difference..!
    I could actually shoot a group with it.

As soon as I started shooting my Mini 30, I began finding out other things I didn't like about it.
    Fortunately, my rifle was a Ranch rifle, so mounting a scope was easy..with supplied rings.
    My Mini 14 was pre-Ranch model, & mounting a scope is a challenge..the mount I purchased & tried, kept loosening in use.

Tried to find a brass catcher (hand loaders always need to save their brass).. only a few places make them for this rifle, both were
    out of stock when I tried to buy one. Tried a universal brass catcher, didn't like how it worked.. ended up using a ball cap,
    with ends opened, placed around the scope mount, then reattached. This way, the brass remained in a pile @ my feet..w/o having to search for it.

Lastly, is Ruger's mag attachment system..(on both the Mini 14 & 30 ) the mag has a hole in the front of the mag that must match to a pin/stud in the receiver ,
    the be rotated toward the rear of the rifle, to lock in place. This is easy to do, when you look @ the mag & receiver, can be awkward to do while sitting @ a bench & trying to do a mag change.
    May not be a big issue, but in comparison to doing a mag change on an AR, it's more clumbersome..IMO.

For all these reasons, I prefer the AR platform to Ruger's Mini 30.. your experience may be different.
    LOL. The reason I bought the Mini-30 is because of all the headaches with the AR conversion. The newer Mini-30 with the bull barrel is the way to go.

I am a Forum User
    " I bought the Mini-30 is because of all the headaches with the AR conversion "

Curious ? what issues did you have ?
    My PSA 7.62 X 39 upper has been flawless in operation with 3 different brands of magazines.
    Had no failure to chamber, no failure to fire, or no failure to eject. So far, I've only used a few factory (brass cased) rounds & mostly my hand loads.
    Have not shot any steel cased ammo. I must have put at least 500 rds thru it so far, & no problems @ all.
    Wish I could say the same about my PSA Ar-15 in .223 / 5.56

Has Ruger changed the way their mags attach to the receiver ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast