Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm asking "You" as a friend.....Rick ain't my buddy!

What would the cost of liability insurance be for such a MGO class?

MCL 28-425i

Sec. 5i.
    (1) A person or entity that provides instruction or training to another person under section 5b is immune from civil liability for damages to any person or property caused by the person who was trained.
    (2) This section does not apply if the person or entity providing the instruction or training was grossly negligent.
    (3) This section is in addition to and not in lieu of immunity otherwise provided by law.
    And if it is held at a range of some sort, there are other protections for the range/club.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    I'm asking "You" as a friend.....Rick ain't my buddy!

What would the cost of liability insurance be for such a MGO class?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    MCL 28-425i

And if it is held at a range of some sort, there are other protections for the range/club.
    Correct!

We have liability sign-offs, as do the clubs/ranges…basic event liability insurance is dirt cheap for a day or three, but would have exclusions for firearms related incidents/claims. If someone knocked a display stand over on someone else and injured them, we'd be covered.

Any volunteers working the classes would be immune to liability (short of gross negligence and other exclusions of little concern) by federal law as it relates to non-profits and volunteers.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

This is starting to shape up nicely. We have some qualified volunteers to help teach the class, volunteers to help run the class. It even looks like we have a volunteer participant! We can still use more assistance, such as a lead instructor, perhaps an RSO, and we could really use a venue.

One of the logistical questions is where should the first class be held? My vision, perhaps a bit premature, but a vision nonetheless, is to host classes is southeast MI, southwest MI, and northern MI. As for class size, we'll probably have to wait to see what EO is in effect at the time, and how it would impact or class(es).

I know there is a lot more to hosting a CPL class - we are only seeing the tip of the old iceberg at this point, but I really think MGO has the talent to make this happen.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    but I really think MGO has the talent to make this happen.
    MGO has the talent, but we need to make sure we have the stamina to follow through with it.
    Can't let it die on the vine.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Board of Directors

...We can still use more assistance, such as a lead instructor, perhaps an RSO...
    Oh, and I am an RSO.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Does anyone have a basic outline of a typical CPL curriculum? I know there is a time requirement involved, as well as a legal segment. To maximize utilization of the facility and maximize the number of participants, one approach would be to split the class into two groups, then conduct a range session with Group A as Group B is receiving their classroom materials. More time on the range gives the participants more hands-on experience with concealed carry.

Just a thought, just not sure how realistic this approach would be. I have read where instructors in some classes have been telling stories just as a time filler - time that could be better spent on the range.

Does anyone have a basic outline of a typical CPL curriculum? I know there is a time requirement involved, as well as a legal segment. To maximize utilization of the facility and maximize the number of participants, one approach would be to split the class into two groups, then conduct a range session with Group A as Group B is receiving their classroom materials. More time on the range gives the participants more hands-on experience with concealed carry.

Just a thought, just not sure how realistic this approach would be. I have read where instructors in some classes have been telling stories just as a time filler - time that could be better spent on the range.
    I am an NRA Pistol instructor. Have taught many PPITH classes for CPL qualification. In my experience, with the experience level of the lowest common denominator student, you will need some classroom time before hitting the range. You need to cover some basics of firearm handling, range rules, and the need to judge the experience level of the student before you can head to the range.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Patron Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    USCCA Handgun Instructor

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

The NRA course has suggested times each lesson should take, and they don't take that long at all.
    they also recommend no more than 3 student shooters per range instructor, but that's just a recommendation.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

What is our goal, here? I'm not opposed to helping instruct but, what are we doing?
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast