Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AK's 101: What Do I Look For?

The other thread on switching to (or expanding to) an AK has piqued my interest a little bit. I've never been a big fan of AK's just because; no real reason other than just because. But I have been thinking, if I did want to acquire an AK, I realize I really don't know much about them. I do recall some ancient threads about the quality of this brand or that brand, but I couldn't tell you anything more.

So, for those of us who don't know about these rifles, what should we know? For example, how do they operate, what are their quirks, and what are their maintenance requirements? If I wanted to purchase one, what features should I be looking for? For those of you who served (thank you, by the way) this thread might be akin to your introduction to your AR in basic training.

I am a Forum User
    https://youtu.be/tXHiPlSShsc
    Rob Ski from AKOU does some excellent videos all things AK.

Quote Originally Posted by deanooo311 View Post
    https://youtu.be/tXHiPlSShsc
    Rob Ski from AKOU does some excellent videos all things AK.
    Seconded. If Rob Ski signs off on it, I'd trust it. If he doesn't, I'd pass.

Stsu away from most USA made kit guns. Rob likes one of the psa new aks with forged trunion.

Look to get non arsenal brand but consider them, arsenal made as in foreign military supplier or state owned arms factory made rifles. Russian saiga used, no longer imported. East, Yugo. You can now get a Yugo with chrome lined barrel it might be the best deal out there.

Get it in 7.62x39 whatever you get.

Buy surplus mags.

I am a Forum User
    When you're looking to buy, I may be parting with my PSAK47. It has the red wood furniture which looks great. Also have ammo I'll part with too.

MGO Member
    short video on how they operate:

No clause in the constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretence by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both.
    William Rawle - offered the position of the first Attorney General of the United States, by President Washington

are you looking to buy new over the internet ?

That will help us narrow down whats commonly available. To give you a top choice, or rank them, or rank them for value.

I am a Forum User
    Hey Mister Waverly:

If you are looking for a AK, please be prepared to accept the fact that it is not a accurate firearm. I have played around with the 7.62 x 39 round looking to get some accuracy in a AK 47, Ruger Mini 30, and a Ruger M77 Bolt action. Got frustrated trying to get acceptable deer hunting accuracy reloading and would be interested to hear from anybody that got better then 4 inches at 50 yards with this round. Nevertheless, as a defensive weapon and with multiple sources of mil surp ammo available, it is a desirable firearm for entertainment and self defense. the Reliability and durability are commendable.

Things to look for, it was recommended to me to get a milled receiver as opposed to a stamped receiver because the milled receiver is sposed to be more accurate. With my experience, it is frightening to think of the accuracy a stamped receiver would deliver. The milled receiver weighs a bit more though.

Secondly, most mil surp ammo is corrosively primed and as such, a chrome lined barrel is desirable. If you get a used non chromed lined barrel, the heavy pitting will be a good indication that the previous owner was not preoccupied with gun maintenance. I have looked at a couple that were simply frightening.

You should seriously consider the scope mount bracket on the side. there are other ways to attach a red dot or scope on the gun, but the original russian designed scope mount bracket is the way to go. Any mount that taps into the side of the stamped receiver is not durable enough (receiver too light to support attachment) and the dust cover mounts are simply junk. Don't even think about clamping a scope on the piston tube, that wont work either.

If I was getting one I would get the under folder paratrooper retractable stock. No need for the wood shoulder stock and why bother raising it to the shoulder with a gun this inaccurate. Shooting from the hip will not hamper the accuracy of this firearm at all.

As you can probably tell, I was disheartened by the lack of precision delivered by the AK and the 7.62x39 round. The good thing is that they do come with 30 round magazines so you will probably hit the target a couple times before you need to change the magazine. They are durable, built like a tank, go bang every time you squeeze the trigger if you have reliable ammo, and rarely jam.

Regards,
    Crankster

MGO Member
    Thank You Sir! No B.S. just Fact.................. Gotta love a honest man!

Brandon Herrera (AK manufacturer/ gunsmith) on YouTube does a good video on what to look for. His explanation of cast/ billet/ forged trunnions and bolts explains the reasoning well.

I have a PSAK with a forged trunnion and bolt and am very pleased for its price point and features (Full length Zhukov folder). It’s accuracy is comparable fo PSA AR’s, if not a bit better. The PSA AK-E is what Rob Ski is in love with. Forged trunnion, bolt, and a barrel assembly made by FN.

Here’s a completely anecdotal non scientific sample-of-one comparison of two PSA guns shot in the same way (standing and blasting with minimal effort at accuracy) at 50 yards. Their AK shot better in this case. From a bench it holds better groups at 100 yards than their AR as well. IIRC this PSAK does about 3” at 100 yards. I’ve never tried to shoot it beyond that, or put effort into being more accurate from a bench. I just use it to bang steel. This just might be me though.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-22-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast