Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Were talking their "minds" right? lol!!
    As AC/DC wonderfully put it!

"she was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean”

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Carlos Hathcock made his living . . . and stayed alive . . . because he knew one thing for sure: where his bullet was going to go.

He cleaned his rifle as often as he shot it if it was at all possible.

Leaving a barrel dirty for a season is just plain ridiculous . . . and saying "I know how it will shoot" is worse. There may be fouling . . . there may be unburned powder . . . there may be rust . . . there may be a spider's nest . . . heck . . . a mud dauber may have a nest in that filthy steel tunnel.

And I doubt if there are many if even any on this forum who could out shoot Carlos.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Carlos Hathcock made his living . . . and stayed alive . . . because he knew one thing for sure: where his bullet was going to go.

He cleaned his rifle as often as he shot it if it was at all possible.

Leaving a barrel dirty for a season is just plain ridiculous . . . and saying "I know how it will shoot" is worse. There may be fouling . . . there may be unburned powder . . . there may be rust . . . there may be a spider's nest . . . heck . . . a mud dauber may have a nest in that filthy steel tunnel.

And I doubt if there are many if even any on this forum who could out shoot Carlos.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    there are bench shooters who compete who say the opposite.

There is a difference if they miss, or do poorly it does not matter.

Carlos didn't need for it to be the best, he needed it to work, slightly different parameters.

I have seen him talk how he welded sights on a 50 cal.

That means you go grab some car batteries and get some spare cable, and weld stuff to the top of your rifles, right? Carlos did it, so it must be the best.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    there are bench shooters who compete who say the opposite.

There is a difference if they miss, or do poorly it does not matter.

Carlos didn't need for it to be the best, he needed it to work, slightly different parameters.

I have seen him talk how he welded sights on a 50 cal.

That means you go grab some car batteries and get some spare cable, and weld stuff to the top of your rifles, right? Carlos did it, so it must be the best.
    Your bench shooters don't have anyone shooting back at them . . . never crawled a half mile thru a rice paddy to get one possible, single, necessary shot.

And their lives did not depend on the shot . . . for Carlos it did.

And yeah . . . he welded sights on a 50 . . . put a scope on it too later . . . made it work.

But then again . . . you are probably just jealous . . . so I'll forgive you this time.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Your bench shooters don't have anyone shooting back at them . . . never crawled a half mile thru a rice paddy to get one possible, single, necessary shot.

And yeah . . . he welded sights on a 50 . . . put a scope on it too later . . . made it work.

But then again . . . you are probably just jealous . . . so I'll forgive you this time.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I am not jealous of him. I was merely saying vietnam era combat sniper tactics are different than winning the club championship at some place just outside detroit.

Its always good to consider other things, but likely follow the people that are top ranked that have spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars learning. You do not need to reinvent the wheel most of the time, someone else already did all the work, and even shares their data.

Accuracy is subjective.
    Hitting center mass @ 20yds is likely considered good enough for most IDPA shooters.
    A deer hunter is happy with a rifle that will allow him to hit the vital area of his quarry at typical ranges he hunts.
    Dinging a 36" gong at 600 is good accuracy for others, but it must allow for consistent hits in a 6" X ring at the same range for a F Class shooter.. stretch that to 1000 yds and the same F Class shooter wants a rifle capable of holding a 10" X ring.
    A shoot for score rimfire BR shooter desires and usually has a rifle/ammo combo that will hold 3/8" for 25 shots @ 50 yds, or better, and if a group shooter in either rim or centerfire BR there is no such thing as accurate enough.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User

May God bless,
    Dwight
    It's nothing to be jealous of, minute of man is much easier then what bench rest shooters do, and most of Carlos's shots were from cover, without people shooting back.

A large part of the reason he was so anal about cleaning his gun is he never knew when he would be able to clean it again. Doing a 3 day drag across a field does not lend it's self to keeping a clean gun, especially when you're moving inches per hour.

Yes, he was one of the best snipers of all time, but every record he had, has been broke.

And just to show what pure precision is when shooting...I'll share this article on .04MOA @600 yards.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-at-600-yards/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12