Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Opinion on Plates and Carriers

I know I am late to the party based on lead times but I am set on buying an armor setup. I am pretty sure I want level IV plates. Though some III+ that can stop 7.62 ball rounds have peaked my interest being that they weigh around 2 pounds a plate lighter. For level IV plates I have looked at the AR 500 ceramics, RMA 1189, and the Hesco 4401(updated version of 4400). Does anyone have experience with these plates or others that they would recommend? Also what carrier are you running or what would you recommend? I am trying to stay under $300 per plate and around $250 for a carrier. I also realize that I most likely will be waiting 8 weeks for the plates.

I am a Forum User
    From the "in the know" groups, you'll find that AR500 anything is avoided, not a lot of support for RMA, and Hesco is highly recomended.

I have shot RMA with stuff WAY over it's rating and it was still stopped, and the only real reason I have heard that they are not liked is that they are the AR500 of ceramic.

I wouldn't hesitate to run RMA or Hesco plates.

I am a Forum User
    This is what myself and a few friends have. They're imported, but tested. Ceramic > steel any day.

https://uprisearmory.com/yakeda-yk-1...vel-iv-plates/

I am a Forum User
    Highcom 4sas7.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    This is what myself and a few friends have. They're imported, but tested. Ceramic > steel any day.

https://uprisearmory.com/yakeda-yk-1...vel-iv-plates/
    Have sources that say the LAPG LVLIII and LVLIV plates are Miltech plates. Bad part is they are not US made, so guessing they will never make it no the NIJ list, but that doesn't mean they won't stop the same threats.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Have sources that say the LAPG LVLIII and LVLIV plates are Miltech plates. Bad part is they are not US made, so guessing they will never make it no the NIJ list, but that doesn't mean they won't stop the same threats.
    They are Militech plates, which supposedly are NIJ tested and certified. At least they say so on the back lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvegB2T0AU

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    They are Militech plates, which supposedly are NIJ tested and certified. At least they say so on the back lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvegB2T0AU
    No, they are NIJ IV protection level, no where on the back does it say certified. Also if you look at the NIJ list of certified manufactures, Miltech is not listed.

The picture with the text is from the link you posted to your setup. You can test to a rating level, and claim it offers that level, but unless it's tested at a NIJ 0101.06 certified testing facility it can not be certified.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    No, they are NIJ IV protection level, no where on the back does it say certified. Also if you look at the NIJ list of certified manufactures, Miltech is not listed.

The picture with the text is from the link you posted to your setup. You can test to a rating level, and claim it offers that level, but unless it's tested at a NIJ 0101.06 certified testing facility it can not be certified.
    Well if it's tested and passes, that's good enough for me.

https://youtu.be/mEB7WbTTlu4

I am a Forum User
    Just had argument about testing with a newer steel armor company, Steel-Ops. Their plates ARE NIJ certified, to 0108.01, which is NOT the test for body armor, but is the test for ballistic resistant protective materials. Testing is no where near the same, and after looking into the lab they claimed to use, they don't even have 0101.06 listed as a standard they can test. Armor is fun, and I have worked with Buffman several times on videos. Heck, right now he has my 300bo rifle for some ammo testing.