Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

.458 SOCOM magazines

So.....I’m just brainstorming for a potential AR pistol.....

Has anyone tried a high-capacity 5.56 magazine for use with the .458? I have a few Schmeissers (quad stack 60 round) and was wondering if these would function with the cartridge. Being they don’t have a divider like the Surefire inside the mag, I’m thinking the .458 MAY double stack in the main body creating a 20 round mag. But not having any ammunition on hand I can’t experiment.

Has anyone tried .458 SOCOM in anything other than Lancers, Pmags, or GI mags? Anyone try a 40 round Pmag or D60?

This potential pistol build is purely an exercise in “because why not”, and not built for any specific purpose. It will never be used for deer, so .450BM doesn’t interest me at all, I’m manly intrigued by the .458 itself, and would like to have it in a 9.5” pistol format. Just trying to figure out if I’ll be stuck with a max capacity of 10 rounds.

I will say that I've run .458 in almost any kind of standard AR mag, aluminum, pmags (including the 40, 13 rounds) and lancers. I have never had an issue.

I can't imagine they would work in Schmeissers or Surefires, etc., but it would be nice to know I'm wrong.

As far as the D60 goes, we couldn't get .300 AAC to run in one of those. It would be interesting to know what, besides 5.56, can be run in them.

Just curious....are you running a rifle or pistol barrel? I’ve heard optimal length is around 10”, which is why I’m leaning towards a pistol build. That, and I think a small semi-auto thumper would be fun to bang silhouettes And bowling pins inside 150 yards.

Just curious how a pistol format performs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Just curious....are you running a rifle or pistol barrel? I’ve heard optimal length is around 10”, which is why I’m leaning towards a pistol build. That, and I think a small semi-auto thumper would be fun to bang silhouettes And bowling pins inside 150 yards.

Just curious how a pistol format performs as well.
    I have a 16” upper and a 12” upper, they both run well. I don’t have any AR pistols, just about every lower I have (that isn’t a MG) is SBR. The 16” I built, the short one is a Tromix.