Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

300 Weatherby Mag scope suggestions for the heavy recoil.

I bought a 300 Weatherby mag last year and had the scope professionally mounted by Williams in Davison. I chose a Leupold 3.5x10x50 scope. (They did a poor job mounting it too) I also paid them to bore sight and professionally site the gun in at 100yrds.

I took it to the range and struggled to hold a group when I noticed the scope was moving. I had another gunsmith replace the leupold mounts with Marne and bore site it. I went back to the range and was happy to hold a 1” group at 100 yrds and 3.5” group at 300 yrds. But after a box of shells the groups started getting much worse. We traced the problem to the scope. Which is at Leupold now. I think the recoil caused the scope failure.

I stuck an older Nikon I had on it and was able to get the groups I wanted. Actually better than I had with the leupold but I’m unhappy with the magnification.

I’ve decided I want to change the scope for two reasons. 1) I don’t know when my old scope will be back. 2) I really want more magnification for the longer shots.

Due to Covid ... finances are a little tight so I can not justify spending $1000+ on another scope. At least not without a divorce ... lol

So I’m looking for a budget friendly option. This scope is for hunting so low light clarity is important. I also want a decent eye relief. Anyone who’s shot a magnum gun knows the importance of that. Lastly the scope needs to be able to handle the recoil without losing its POA.

In gravitating towards the Vortex scopes. The Diamondback and Viper scopes look to have decent eye relief. I’m thinking a 6x24x50 scope.
    Another scope that seems to have good reviews are the Bushnell Nitro scopes. They also have a 6x24x40 scope.

Here’s my questions. Anyone have experience with these scopes? Especially on a heavy recoil gun? How’s the eye relief and low light clarity? How do they hold up?

Would a 4x16 power hold up better than a 6x24 power? I had a guy at Williams tell me that.
    I do wonder if I’d be better off with a 4-16 for the light gathering and possible short distance shots. Most of my shots range from 75-450 yrds.

I’m willing to look at other scopes so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I realize this isn’t going to fully answer your questions, but is my opinion
    Leupold has been the gold std. for years as far as recoil goes. Burris IMO is another that seems to hold up well.
    Magnification affect eye relief. The numbers you see listed unless specifically stating they are valid at peak mag is only true with the scope set at the lowest power.
    I have the Viper 6x24x40 on both an 6x45 Cooper and a AR in 5.56. Obviously this says nothing about my thoughts don using one on a heavy kicker but I have found ARs can be rougher then one would think on scopes and mounts. You would not believe the number of loose scopes I have seen on them at the range. The Vortex are decent as far as glass at their price point and the adjustments on mine are very good. I trust Vortex enough to have just recently ordered a PST 5x25x50 to top off a Vudoo V22 that is on its way this week. Again, no recoil to test it but that’s not why i chose it. Got glass and tracking are very important to me in this set up.
    As far as bore sighting most if not all shops only warranty them for 25 yds to be on paper if they offer any guarantee in the 1st place. Shooting 50 yds on a bore sight usually but not always will find paper, stretching it to 100 and it’s a coin toss with the odds on the “you lose” side. A loose mount however is inexcusable and you should have brought it back to be redone. I know their mounting employes loc tight if they do the whole job and is stood behind for a reasonable time. If you paid for an actual 100yd sight in that too should have been brought to their attention if it wasn’t right.
    Personally and this is worth what you paid is to stay with the scope you have when it gets back. Leupold stands behind their scopes very well and I am sure it will come back fully gone over any thing repaired they can find. I also would still with the Leupold rings and mounts. Again JMO but I prefer them over Warne and yes I own both, or go with a set of Burris Posi Locks. YMMV
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    A loose mount however is inexcusable and you should have brought it back to be redone
    I paid to have it sighted because I was taking it out of town to shoot at a long distance range. I used the local gunsmith to remount then called Williams when I got back in town. They didn’t seem to care and just made excuses. I have to say that I’ve used Williams twice now for gunsmith work and both times I was disappointed in the work.

Personally and this is worth what you paid is to stay with the scope you have when it gets back
    I’m going on a hunting trip in a month and who knows if the scope will be back in enough time. Right now my confidence in the leupold scope is low. I’d much rather buy something with more magnification now and get some range time in before my trip.

MGO Member
    Go to bear basin website and look at the WEAVER SUPER SLAMS.Great scope for $$ spent ($500-$700 price range) as they do not make them any longer they have new old stock.I have 2 mounted on a Weatherby 300 win mag and Winchester 264 win mag.Great scope IMHO

Marketplace Moderator
    Did you buy the scope at William's? Good Shooting, MOOSE

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Burris fullfield ii bdc 4.5-14 have them on everything from a 375rum to 450BM